Lost bank account

bond-007

I have an aib account which has been dormant for a few years. There is about €20 in it.

I know which branch its in, is there any way to find out the account number? Can I write to the branch?

If you give them a call they might let you answer a few security questions to verify your identity.....

I tried to get my bank account details over the phone recently and i was told i had to call into the branch. They would not give the details over the phone

Most likely they have closed the account - unless it was a non-fee paying account of some kind your money will have been used up paying fees and you may even owe them money for administration charges. This happened to my sister with her student account which was switched automatically to a normal account a couple of months after the date they knew she was due to leave college (you have to give this when you open a student account normally). She went abroad after graduating and a few months later statements and requests for payment of overdrawn amount were being sent to her - she had left a small amount of money there but it was used up by fee charges and then she had an unauthorised overdraft amount. She did argue this with the bank and they agree to waive the charges in the end and the account was just closed.

Its a savings account with no fees. Legally do they not have to write to you to close the account?

There are regulations governing the management of dormant accounts. IFSRA are currently investigating/auditing banks policies/practices in this area.

These links might be of some use

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

Back