Losses from Shares in previous years - Can I use now

Stockmaster

I am a PAYE employee, and I have being filling out my tax returns since 2002 and recently using the online ROS form F11.

However I only now realise that I should have been filing my losses on Shares which I had been trading ( but making overall losses each year, I didnt make a profit in any year, I eventually realised that I was a mug and hopeless at buying and selling shares - so I gave up)

Between 2004 and 2012, I made losses each year and eventually totalling about 45,000€, when I stopped digging the hole any further realising I was a mug

but I didnt know I needed to record the loss on the F11, incase I made a future profit that I could use the loss against, I thought a loss is a loss

I now have bought shares which are in profit and stand to have a gain of about half the old losses that I had

Can I use the losses from back then against the gain if I sell, or am I too late

Any help would be greatly appreciated - Thanks

I would include the loss as brought forward / carried forward in your 2016 tax return. Then if you do something to use it in 2017, it will be on the record.

Will this be a problem, as I haven't recorded it before - thanks, i.e can I just put it is the box as losses from previous years?

There might be some questioning from revenue re why you didn't record the losses before.

But whether or not, the fact is you made the losses, and you can carry the losses forward.i would follow Gordon gekkos advice.

If dividends were paid then maybe you already have a paper-trail from previous online ROS F11 declarations.

Back