losing points "without knowing"

B

Bridget

losing points "without knowing"

can't see the controversy in this. The woman must have known she was speeding on a regular basis and she must have known that this is illegal. How can she then moan about losing her licence?

A woman clocked up a total of 12 penalty points (i.e. disqualification level) by speeding on a variety of occasions within a 3-4 week period, but because of delays in the system (not fully computerised) she didn't receive notification of any of the points before she'd committed all the speeding offences that gave rise to a total of 12 points between them. Her argument is that if she'd received a timely notification that she'd been awarded the first 2 points or whatever, she'd have slowed down and so would never have got the rest.

Apparently on the government's Oasis site, until yesterday it used to say that you would be notified within a week if you had got points. In her case it took around a month. Following publicity, the bit about notification within a week has now been deleted from the Oasis site.

Re: points

Great to know that she is now off the road, isn't it?

Well, given that she sped enough to get 12 points in only about a month, coupled with the fact that she was unobservant enough to notice the speed cameras going off, or Gatso van, or gardaí with hairdryers on all these occasions, I would reckon the roads are a safer place without her.

30 mph.

Good riddance I say. Today I saw at least 7 people/white vans speeding and driving recklessly. The sooner these people are off the road the better for everyone else.

Re: 30 mph.

if the purpose of the points system is to modify driver behaviour then it is imperitive that feedback is as near to immediate as possible.

ajapale

Re: 30 mph.

I drove to Waterford last week from Limerick. I reached 60mph for more than 2 minutes on one occasion on the whole 80 mile journey. Take the shits that drive at 40 and the car behind them that wont pass them out off the road, if you want to be fair. The utter frustration I felt that day nearly (and I stress nearly) convinced me to take chances. If I had to drive that route every day....

Apply a fair system. Tackle speeding buy all means. And tackle slow incompetent drivers too. They are equally dangerous.

Also - I agree with ajapale,
and if the idea of penalty points is as a deterrant to speeding then cameras etc need to be visible.

If we were to apply the secret police principle to other areas we could make up numbers by just leaving a load of loot in an unlocked car, wait for someone to try to take it, then just feck them in jail.

Disqualifying a woman for speeding six times on a safe dual carriageway will not make our roads one iota safer.

In addition to the points that cobalt makes that she was . .
unobservant enough to notice the speed cameras going off, or Gatso van, or gardaí with hairdryers on all these occasions
. . she doesn't have much of an imagination as she could easily have retained her licence by getting someone else to take a few of the points. i.e. When she get notification of speeding at such a place at such a time she pencils in her sister who has a provisional and who is currently on a round the world trip or her granny or whoever else will agree to same as the driver on that occasion, they get the points and she pays the fine.

Now I do not necessarily agree with the use of such less than honest loopholes but she could have done this, kept her licence and maybe learned from the experience.

by getting someone else to take a few of the points

Hi michaelm,

I appreciate this is illegal but you could be on to a "nice little earner" here.

Offer to "buy" points from people nearing the limit and assign them to a range of people out of the country or whatever. What would you charge per point?

ajapale

visible cameras

By and large the fixed cameras are visible - or even if you don't notice them, you see the stripes marking distance travelled on the road. If you're driving so fast that you can't slow down to the speed limit when you notice those stripes coming up or the camera ahead, then you're driving too fast.

Does anyone know if the Gardai can give someone with a uk licence points on that licence?

When you convert the points you would have got are added to your Irish licence - according to this . The points don't go onto the UK licence.

Quote:

If you subsequently exchange your foreign driving licence for an Irish driving licence, your Irish penalty points will then be activated on your new Irish driving licence.

Yellow Jackets in the mist.

Why should cameras be visible? On the Stillorgan Dual carriageway everyone slows down heading under the bridge at Belfield going in to town and on the return journey at the bus shelter. Every toe rag knows this and adjusts accordingly.

?

If you subsequently exchange your foreign driving licence for an Irish driving licence, your Irish penalty points will then be activated on your new Irish driving licence.

Why would anyone bother getting an Irish Licence if they have a UK one? My one doesn't expire until I'm 70!

This woman incorrectly thought that the speed limit where she was caught was 60mph, and not 50mph as it actually is. The camera is at the spot on the dual carriageway where the limit drops. The speeds she was caught doing varied between 57mph and 65mph. These are hardly excessive speeds on a dual carriageway. I see people doing these speeds on single lane carriageways in Dublin every day and very little is done to get these menaces off the road. I remember Kevin Myers complaining once that his daily journey on the 6-lane section of the Naas dual carriageway by Citywest is a 40mph limit, but when he turns off onto a road that is barely wide enough for two cars to pass each other, the limit goes up to 60mph.
I have never seen a speed camera, either fixed or mobile, on secondary roads, or even in built up areas. They are always on national routes, dual carriageways or motorways.

uk driving licence

Is it ok then to tell the insurance people that you have no points on your licence (because it's a uk one)?

I only take out in insurance when I'm forced to be the state. I always suspect that in the event of a claim, I won't be covered, and the insurance company will find a way to wriggle out.

If I had penalty points pending on an Irish licence, I would inform the insurance company. They will find out anyway, and that would make their job of not covering me so much easier.

Re: .

The purpose of accumulating points is that you become progressively more conscious as the points mount.

If the inherent inefficiecy in the system means that a person can be disqualified before even learning they have points then that undermines the public confidence in the system.

What we have here is a woman who drove between 7 and 10mph above the limit on a safe dual carriageway and got disqualified.

A person doing 100mpg on a B road who get's told they have points has a chance to adjust their behaviour.

Jim McDaids performance on the radio yesterday was a scandal. It perfectly summed up the arrogant attitude of the government. "There is no statutory obligation on us to tell you that you have points".

He also reminded us that at the moment there are only 4 offenses for which you get points. There are another 60 to be added. "So in theory you could get disqualified in one day". This is government policy. Getting points because you have a bulb gone.

I doubt the kids who smashed the window of my car last year have been dealt with as harshly as this woman. In fact I know they haven't been dealt with at all.

On the other hand kids who enjoy alcohol free disco's and are causing no trouble whatsoever get their names taken by the Gardai.

It's a grand little country isn't it?
Roll on the General Election.

-Rd

Back