Lorry Damaged Gate Posts

rustbucket

Apologies not sure what section to post in so admins please move if incorrect.

Last Monday morning I believe a skip bag collection truck struck my gate post, taking a large section of concrete out of the wall and dislodging a number of capstones on top of the wall.

Although I did not see it happen I believe I witnessed an attempted clean up of the evidence as I looked out my window and saw the truck parked up outside my gate.

The driver got out of the truck and walked around towards my gate as if he were about to ring the bell or leave something in post box but he did not.

I thought it odd and as I was leaving the house 15 minutes later I noticed the large piece missing and the dislodged capstones.

The incident happened around 730 am and I didn’t hear it happen as I had the tv on.

I photographed everything, and made contact with the company. That was ten days ago. I have contacted them three times since, a follow up email and 2 phone calls and have been assured it is being looked at and with the relevant department.

I am wondering how long is acceptable to wait to hear from the ‘relevant department’? I would have thought a complaint like this would be looked at quite seriously (maybe not).

I reported the matter to the gardai who inform me it is a civil matter and to resolve it with the company.

Although I have no cc tv footage I have since discovered more convincing information that it was this truck that did the damage and I have informed the company of this also.

What should my next steps be if they don’t respond and what is a reasonable amount of time to expect a response.

Should I get a quote to repair damage in the meantime?

I havnt been in this position before really. I would have thought the driver might have owned up, left a note etc.

I don’t think it necessary to go into more detail about why I am confident it was that particular truck but if it helps I can.

Thanks for thoughts.

10 days does not seem excessive to me. I would give them 3 weeks then say that if you do not hear from them with a proposal within a week you will contact your solicitor.

I would get an estimate from a reputable tradesman now so that the exact cost of fixing the problem is known.

I photographed everything, and made contact with the company. That was ten days ago. I have contacted them three times since, a follow up email and 2 phone calls and have been assured it is being looked at and with the relevant department.
Write a personal letter addressed to the CEO.

That usually wakes a company up.

Last Monday morning I believe a skip bag collection truck struck my gate post, taking a large section of concrete out of the wall and dislodging a number of capstones on top of the wall...

Although I did not see it happen I believe I witnessed an attempted clean up of the evidence as I looked out my window and saw the truck parked up outside my gate...

I reported the matter to the gardai who inform me it is a CIVIL MATTER and to resolve it with the company.
What would the truck driver have to have done to make it criminal damage??

10 days does not seem excessive to me. I would give them 3 weeks then say that if you do not hear from them with a proposal within a week you will contact your solicitor.
Thanks for that. I just wasn’t sure of any timeline at all

I would get an estimate from a reputable tradesman now so that the exact cost of fixing the problem is known.
Yes I actually contacted someone today about an estimate so will have that hopefully when they contact me

What would the truck driver have to have done to make it criminal damage??
I’m not sure exactly. Do it on purpose? I’m pretty sure driving away from the scene of an accident is a criminal offence (maybe not) but I guess this has to involve another person maybe or another car? I reported it as I thought I should, just in case.

@rustbucket not a reply to your OP but just something that may save you time and trouble in the future...........

Your above 4 posts could all have been amalgamated in to just one, while also quoting the 4 previous replies.
Just select/highlight what you wish to quote and release mouse and select 'reply'.
Hopefully you find this little tip handy.

@rustbucket not a reply to your OP but just something that may save you time and trouble in the future...........

Your above 4 posts could all have been amalgamated in to just one, while also quoting the 4 previous replies.
Just select/highlight what you wish to quote and release mouse and select 'reply'.
Hopefully you find this little tip handy.
Good to know. Thanks for that

Back