Lord of the Dance...a disappointment

Male Doon

Saw it last night in the O2. Maybe my wife and I made a mistake in expecting Riverdance Mark Two but it was a disappointment. Spectacular when all of the dancers were tapping away, but there were a lot of fillers (three songs, including "I wish I was I in Carrick-Fergus" etc).
Twenty minutes late starting, a stuttering first half lasted 45 minutes, came alive in the second half, but still something missing.

Michael still has "the feet" but now in shorter bursts (not surprising seeing as he is now 52), so he spent some of the time strutting around the stage and generally throwing shapes.

There were a good few less dancers on the stage compared to Riverdance and I think that this had the effect of lessening the impact of the show also.

And I got the impression that the sound of the tapping was on a backing track, so that we weren't really hearing the the sound of the tap-dancers "live".

So in Dunphy-language, it was a good show but not a great show...
It would be interesting to hear the views of others who may have seen it last night or who might see it next week etc.

Back