Looking to get a transfer in Public Service but Rejected

brigadear

Hi all, I am a Clerical Officer in the public service and am looking for a transfer from my current department, I would prefer to work somewhere that has a flexi system which they don't really have in my current department.

I identified a couple of departments via the Union magazine and i approached my personnel department about it 3 weeks ago.

To cut a long short short they have rejected my request today, basically they have said that because I recently did a course which cost approx 3k that it is not in their interest to release me, I felt that this was a ridiclous reason to reject my request but I believe the reason is down to my HEO, as I told her first what I wanted to do and she was not happy and said that I could not go until somebody else was trained up and that could take about 9 months, which is load of crap as there is another Clerical Officer in the office that does the exact same work as me so its not as if I am just up and leaving.

Can they block my request, I could understand if I was an AP but I am just a Clerical Officer!, I have asked my union for their advice on this but they have not come back to me yet, any advice would be appreciated.

Do you not think that having invested €3k in you, through paying for the course that you (presumably) asked to go on, that they might want to get some value from that?

Was the course quite specific to the work that you do, or will it transfer easily? Did other colleagues who were looking for funding of courses get refused?

I can see their point, and to be honest blaming the HEO and personalising the issue won't help, it won't have been the HEO that refused your request.

A friend of mine in the public service took 3 years to be transferred from Dublin to Cork. He applied about a year prior to getting married, and he waited and waited while his wife worked and lived in Cork and he lived and worked in Dublin. I remember him saying that the whole process was very slow and it was a waiting game, and he wasn't being blocked from leaving.

Do you not think that having invested €3k in you, through paying for the course that you (presumably) asked to go on, that they might want to get some value from that?

Was the course quite specific to the work that you do, or will it transfer easily? Did other colleagues who were looking for funding of courses get refused?

I can see their point, and to be honest blaming the HEO and personalising the issue won't help, it won't have been the HEO that refused your request.

I have come to an agreement with my HR department where they have said that they will review the situation in September but they see no reason why I won't get a transfer but I do agree with you in that they should get some sort of return from the course but in reference to the course it made no real difference to my job as I have been doing the job for over 4 years, only difference I now have a cert and they knew in advance of me doing the course that I wanted a move for family reasons, so that is why I was little annoyed with the refusal. And yes the course can be transfered and I intend on taking it further.

I certainly didn't mean to personalise the situation with my HEO but I can see that it came across like that but having to spoke to her since she did play a part in my HR department refusing my request but not in a malicious way, she did say that she wanted somebody equally as good as me as my replacement, so I should be flattered!. Anyway I think waiting until September or bit longer is fair for everyone.

Back