Looking to get a new kitchen and need help!

ericsson

Hi all, I am moving into a new house (well new to me) at the very start of November and the first thing on my to-do list is get a new kitchen, only problem is I haven't got a clue where to start! The house that I am buying is an ex-corporation type house in Ballyfermot with a small enough kitchen. I was hoping that 2.5k would be enough to buy kitchen and fit it but after looking at posts on here I think i might be too optimistic. I am not looking for anything too fancy or expensive, preferably in a shaker style. I have already got all of the kitchen appliances so these will not need to be added to the costs. I was looking at Cash and Carry Kitchens and BandQ kitchens online however I haven't got a clue who I could get to fit it if I was to go down this route... Is 2.5K a realistic budget it is just money is very tight at the minute what with moving into a new house? Also I would not be changing the layout of the kitchen too much, the sink, sockets etc would be going in the same place. Also I would be happy to remove the existing kitchen and remove tiles etc myself if this will cut down on costs. I have a seperate budget aside for re-tiling as i have a friend who is a tiler. Any help would be brilliant or even if anyone could suggest someone who could help source and fit a kitchen.

Thanks in advance, you guys always seem to come up with the answers,
Ericsson :)

With this sort of a budget, you should probably have a look at Ikea to see what they have to offer & arrange a carpenter to fit it. If you are really trying to save, you might be able to assemble the carcasses yourself & then have the carpenter do the final parts (they are normally all the same & fairly straight forward - Ikea really do give step by step guidelines). If you have a friend who is a good alrounder they may be able to help you out

If nothing else, you'll get some good ideas & storage options

Enjoy it!!! and best of luck in the new house

I reckon you should be able to create a very nice kitchen with that sort of budget. Have a look at a few of the more inexpensive suppliers - Ikea, Cash & Carry, In House, B & Q, Noyeks Newmans come to mind - and get some idea of what they're offering. I believe Cash & Carry deliver their units pre-assembled but don't know about the others.

When you have a plan in mind then get these places to give you a price. Don't forget you don't have to buy everything in the same place - I bought parts all over the place for mine. If you're looking for well priced interior fittings such as swing out larders, then you could try Hafele in Kilcoole, Wicklow, who I found to be very well priced.

Can I suggest that you maybe consider going for something other than Shaker? This style seems to have had its day and it means you would be putting in a kitchen that was dated before you even cooked your dinner in it. I would recommend getting a few magazines - All Ireland Kitchens is very useful - and looking through to find out what else might appeal to you.

Have fun!

Personally speaking I think the Shaker kitchen will never date, its a very popular kitchen, simple and looks well in any wood

You can definitely get a kitchen for your budget in Ikea.

Go to this page http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_IE/rooms_ideas/splashplanners.html and download their kitchen planner, it is terrific. You put in the measurements of your kitchen as well as where the door(s) and window(s) are and then you can just drag'n'drop various cabinets into the plan. It also gives you a 3D view so you can get an idea of what the whole thing will look like in real life. You can change the cabinet/drawer fronts and handles at the click of a mouse to try out different styles. And the Planner will also tell you how much the total cost is, so if you've gone over budget you can make some changes until it comes out at the price you want.

When you've got your final plan you upload it to the Ikea website, then make an appointment at the Kitchen Department and they go through it with you to make sure you haven't left anything out or done anything silly, so don't be afraid of making any expensive mistakes.

I'm delighted with my Ikea kitchen and being able to take my time with the Planner and do loads of different drafts really made the difference in getting the plan right (a year later and I can confirm that I did). I'd hate to have had to do it in an hour with a salesperson.

One thing though, I don't think their worktops are the greatest, it might be worth getting that somewhere else.

Oh, and whatever you do don't put in base cupboards, get those drawer units instead, they are the best thing ever.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I knew you would come up trumps. I will take a look in IKEA and check out Cash & Carry kitchens too. Mite have to try and see can I get a few more quid together before I actually start any project though. Thanks again and if anyone else has any other suggestions or help keep them coming :)

Thanks.

If the carcasses of the units are ok, could you not just change/paint the doors and replace the worktop? Then maybe get a few more units if you need them?

There is a local kitchen-fitter in Ballyfermot, Brian Rochford, who has a business name "Abstract Kitchens". He is a down-to-earth guy who would definitely have some useful advice as regards organising a kitchen within your budget. (Not a friend of mine or anything, but he did a modification in my kitchen a couple of years ago that I was pleased with.)

Hi ACA yes I had been thinking about just doing up the old kitchen so to speak but the carcases are in poor condition so would prefer to go with a new one. The old layout is also very disorganised. Thanks for the reply tho :)

MALE DOON - I don't suppose you have the number for Brian Rochford do you? My house is in Ballyfermot and I know of him, well i knew he was a carpenter but did not know he did kitchens. Does he supply and fit or just fit? Thanks for your reply :)

Hi ericcson, how did you get on with the kitchen? What kind of money did you spend in the end?

Hi missdaisy fraid what with all the other expense of moving into a new house I still havent gotten around to it yet and the budget is looking even tighter now. Might leave it until next year now although the old one is driving me mad :( :( :( The more i looked into it the more confused i got. Are you looking at getting new kitchen too?

Back