looking to apply for job in fire brigade

mmefc

just looking for some advice on how to get a job in fire brigade ?whether its part time or full time just looking to get my foot in the door basically but dont know how to go about this im 35 and live in the kildare area any help much appreciated

Take a look at

I think all jobs in the Public Sector have to go through there...

Sign up for regular e mail updates... Hear when the positions you're after come available...

Hope this helps...

Darth....

cheers darth may the force be with you

:D LOL!!!!...

You should hear me breathe... My so called friends thought it would be funny to put the Darthvadar nickname on me because I've asthma!... Mind you, I AM a Star Wars fan, and old Darth's my favourite character, so I suppose I like it!....

By the way, if there's a Mountain Rescue, Civil Defence group, St John Ambulance group etc that you could volunteer for, it certainly wouldn't harm your application...

I wish you the VERY best of luck in your chosen career... And no offence, but forgive me if I never want to meet you at work!!!!!...:D

Darth....

I went for it a couple of years ago. Full time positon in my city. Competion is hot.

When I applied there were 7 positons availible and 390 applicants.

Phase 1. Apptitude test. Very suited to people with mechanical minds.

Phase 2'. Fitness and strenght tests. You will need to be very fit to pass. I trained real hard for months to pass it.

Phase 3. You arrive at station for series of tests.

test 1 . ( dexterity)
You have 30 seconds to put many different fire hose connections together and pull them apart.

test 2. (Heights)
Climb a ladder up a 40 m tower,While still on ladder, look down right and left and name letters on ground, get off ladder onto tower, back on ladder and down, all in a certain time frame.

test 3. (claustrophobic)
With all the gear on, face mask, tank on back etc. you are shown five everyday items and asked to remember them. they then bring you into a crawl cage, it is very tight and pitch black, you have a time frame to get through cage and little tunnels so small that you have to crawl on your belly to make sure tank fits.
Once you are out you must recall items.
Part of this test is having your mask blackened out and marching to command with other firefighters.

test 4 (fitness)

You go with another applicant and run maybe 25 sets of 25M, while you haul different equipment after you, very very tough when you are wearing all the gear. I took my time because I know I could do it in the time allowed. You race the clock not the man.

Phase 4 Interveiw.

you get pts for having a trade related to the industry, I got extra pts for being a plumber and qualified gas installer. You would also get extra pts if you are a part time fire fighter.

It was a three person panel.

Not everybody gets through the phase's, when I did it 50 odd got to the last stage.

I finished in the top ten, losing out by 2 places.

Most of the seven were part timers and ex military.

It was a great experiance and one I was glad I did. I was asked to apply for my local part time service but living by the beeper wasn't for me. I would have rather been fulltime. When your on shift or your not.

Best of Luck

There are no full time firefighters in Kildare, only retained.. There's a good few Kildare lads in the Dublin fire brigade, but they wont be recruiting for a long time as they are only half way through the current panel, which will probably take another couple of years to run through..

Davyjones post was quite accurate even for Dublin, but here there's a panel of 150 made up from around 8,000 applicants.. Current recession and all that, you could be expecting this figure to be closer to 25,000 applicants next time around..

As Darth Vader said, Mountain rescue, st. johns, civil defence, fca, are all added bonus's for the interview, throw in a trade too and your well on your way.. But, as i said, i doubt there'll be a recruitment drive in any county for a while..

Back