looking for unspoiled Ireland

I'd definitely be looking more East Cork than West Cork too. Far more "undiscovered" and some really nice areas.

I'd definitely be looking more East Cork than West Cork too. Far more "undiscovered" and some really nice areas.
Whilst on the topic of unspoilt areas of cork when they mention areas in cork which have a micro-climate what parts of cork does that refer to.

Whilst on the topic of unspoilt areas of cork when they mention areas in cork which have a micro-climate what parts of cork does that refer to.

This usually refers to the areas of west cork and kerry that are most influenced by the gulf stream - examples would include glengarriff, kenmare, glandore - basically all that coastline.

I know the area of west waterford quite well - if you really want unspoiled and rural, look at areas around the comeraghs - nire valley, ballymacarbery, the vee, etc. Your nearest towns would be dungarvan and clonmel - cork and waterford also within easy reach.

Personally I'd agree with the Donegal suggestion - I know the original poster mentioned needing to be near a decent Airport: From Donegal it's only a short skip to Derry airport, from where you can fly to Stanstead. Place is fairly littered with little fixer-upper cottages and there's a real market for crafts and traditional homemade foodfare.

You say you want an area that is unspoilt and has a good sense of community yet you are looking to buy a holiday home. It is the part-time residents such as yourself that are helping to spoil rural Ireland and decimate local communities by pushing up property prices and thereby preventing young locals from buying in their area and forcing them into towns and cities.
Also those local food producers you seek may have your business when you're there but who will sustain their turnover when you're not? Obviously I don't mean that you alone will be responsible for the demise of the community you buy in but its an incremental process. This has happened already in coastal parts of Mayo and Cork among many other parts of rural Ireland. I know you say you want to live there full-time eventually but how long is "eventually"?

Hi,

If you are looking for unspoilt, you could do worse than try Clare or Galway, there are some derelict homes for sale on here:

[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

Best of luck!

Re. being a part-time resident.

I can't really argue with you. It's something that has caused us concern because we do indeed want to give back to the community, and do more than contribute an empty house for most of the year. I am secure in the knowledge that we are concientious people and so don't feel we need to defend the specific points you raise, but your points are completely valid. I should point out though that we don't want to live in a remote area (as stated in my first post), and partly for the very reasons you raise. We visited a rural village recently on the Cork coast and the local school only had 13 students. Having a home near or in a village with enough of a population to absorb our absences is much more appealing to our conscience (although still does weigh on me). One thing that I do want to point out, though, is that it is such a shame that traditional cottages are being torn down by locals and part-time owners alike to build new, soulless, badly constructed modern houses. We want to find something old and preserve it, so if nothing else we can give that. I would hope locals would do the same. Further, one of the things we have considered is finding a place where we could let out part of the home at a below-market rent to provide accomodation or an artist's studio to a full-time resident. As for the local food producers, again, fair point, but as far as I'm able I'll do what I can rather than roll into town and give my business to the nearest Spar. I would hope that all the locals do the same, but it seems everyone's rather excited about big new Tesco's and the like. As for when "eventually" is...is tomorrow too soon? If I could, I would!! This is clearly an issue that is worth discussing, and I would hope that you put pressure on your local government to see what they can do to preserve what's left of old Ireland, to limit new builds, to discourage large corporations such as Starbucks from invading the landscape and putting small businesses under, to encourage the kind of tourism that keeps small businesses alive.

I would recomend a barge ,you can travel for miles through the real Ireland far away from roads,You could pick up one from 20/100 K and cruise down the river barrow ,the canals, the Shannon ,and by the time you have done this you will find a nice hideaway somewhere

Re. being a part-time resident.

I can't really argue with you. It's something that has caused us concern because we do indeed want to give back to the community, and do more than contribute an empty house for most of the year. I am secure in the knowledge that we are concientious people and so don't feel we need to defend the specific points you raise, but your points are completely valid. I should point out though that we don't want to live in a remote area (as stated in my first post), and partly for the very reasons you raise. We visited a rural village recently on the Cork coast and the local school only had 13 students. Having a home near or in a village with enough of a population to absorb our absences is much more appealing to our conscience (although still does weigh on me). One thing that I do want to point out, though, is that it is such a shame that traditional cottages are being torn down by locals and part-time owners alike to build new, soulless, badly constructed modern houses. We want to find something old and preserve it, so if nothing else we can give that. I would hope locals would do the same. Further, one of the things we have considered is finding a place where we could let out part of the home at a below-market rent to provide accomodation or an artist's studio to a full-time resident. As for the local food producers, again, fair point, but as far as I'm able I'll do what I can rather than roll into town and give my business to the nearest Spar. I would hope that all the locals do the same, but it seems everyone's rather excited about big new Tesco's and the like. As for when "eventually" is...is tomorrow too soon? If I could, I would!! This is clearly an issue that is worth discussing, and I would hope that you put pressure on your local government to see what they can do to preserve what's left of old Ireland, to limit new builds, to discourage large corporations such as Starbucks from invading the landscape and putting small businesses under, to encourage the kind of tourism that keeps small businesses alive.

You seem like very worthy / well-meaning people. It would be really nice if you used paragraphs when posting.

I'll shoot off a letter immediately to my local authority asking them to do exactly as you require. Your original thinking would benefit the natives too. Thank you.

Why shouldn't the natives have Starbucks & Tesco? Are they just for cityfolk? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your sentiment about local business - Starbucks & Tesco I particularly dislike - but rural Ireland isn't a museum. It's not there for the benefit of tourists no matter how well intentioned.

If you want to feel a part of a real rural Irish community then get yourself a 4x4, a Sky dish, and a Clubcard :)

Why shouldn't the natives have Starbucks & Tesco? Are they just for cityfolk? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your sentiment about local business - Starbucks & Tesco I particularly dislike - but rural Ireland isn't a museum. It's not there for the benefit of tourists no matter how well intentioned.

If you want to feel a part of a real rural Irish community then get yourself a 4x4, a Sky dish, and a Clubcard :)

Ha, indeed! Again, in my original post you'll see that I'm not against progress, and think it's incredible that Ireland finally has a bit of dosh. HOWEVER, visit just about any English town and you'll find identical high-streets with idential high-street chain stores and people looking identical in their idential clothes. You really have to struggle to find an English town that has a unique identity. Go to many European countries, however, and you'll find that the local businesses thrive. If you've ever been to Seville, you'll know what I mean. It's a thriving city and has a great balance of modern convenience and heritage. People still shop in proper old markets, get their morning coffee at their tiny local cafe, and then go to their fancy job at the bank.
As for your query about why rural Ireland should not get the mod cons - that is not at all what I mean. I think these big companies are ruining the urban landscape as well - which is why we want to avoid it (although I'd take Dublin over London any day). I think city planners need to be VERY careful when granting permission to these sort of companies, and locals need to be very careful what they wish for. Many of these companies have an agressive buisiness model whereby they open two shops in close proximity in order to drive the local business out, then they close one of their own shops once they have cornered the market. Other big businesses such as large supermarkets will get special zoning or planning permission for greater-than-average car parks, or by-roads that take drivers straight to their door before passing through a village, thus greatly reducing any hope of passing trade to local business. They are able to get special permission because they seem to be able to offer something - like jobs, or inflated rents - but it's often a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul. The long-term affects are devastating to the culture (or to the culture of the country supplying the raw materials...).
Do you really, really want to live in a country that has no discernable identity from one town to the next? Having lived in places oozing with charm in the past and watching their unique spirit go down the toilet, all I can do is encourage you to do is to pay attention to the lessons learned in other booming places. England itself has just come very late to the "ethical living" bandwagon and seems to be in a constant state of regret about many previous planning decisions. Although it's all a bit middle-class at the moment, people are slowly starting to make some better decisions.

By all means, have a latte on your way to work (I'll be having one too), but buy it from the nice folks on the corner, not the corporate monster. And if you want an opinion about the big supermarkets, just ask your local farmer.

Some cautionary tales:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060925/sfm132.html?.v=2

http://stloracle.blogspot.com/2006/01/is-starbucks-blue-state-walmart.html

[broken link removed]

As for me? I'm going to hell in a low-cost handbasket for considering 12 short-haul flights a year. So holier than thou I am most certainly not. :)

Whoops - I've strayed way off subject! So, back to finding our little village... thank you everyone for your suggestions. Keep them coming!

Peach100, if you don't mind me saying this, much of what you say seems to me to be based on the theories of Naomi Klien in "No Logo". Compelling and all as Ms Klien’s arguments appear (at first glance, anyhow) in their original context, as someone who lives in rural Ireland, I honestly don't think that these theories have had much relevance here, at least as yet.

(By the way, one of the most common objections that some rural dwellers have to holiday homes is the propensity of their inhabitants to arrive in an area and very quickly try to impose their own opinions & prejudices on local issues, whether it be in relation to planning permissions for new residential developments, roads, retail outlets, or proposals for business and social amenities. If you want a happy long-term relationship with your new neighbours in your chosen location, you might do well consider this phenomenon and its implications.)

In my nearest town (by no means a metropolis), the development of edge-of-town retail parks has been hugely positive for the local population, and dare I say it, for the existing traders of the town who have seen their own businesses boom as the town is now a far more attractive place to visit than heretofore.

And I'm afraid your "nice folks on the corner v corporate monster" argument, emotive and all that it sounds, doesn't wash either. For example, most of the small retail traders in my local village and town have done nicely for themselves by converting their businesses to Centra/Mace/Londis/XL Stop & Shop/Whatever franchises, which they still personally run. Even the local paper shop in my town is now an Eason franchise operated by the same owner.

In doing so they have put themselves in a position where they can now properly run their businesses as businesses, thus availing of efficient distribution systems which allow them to offer wider product ranges to customers, react better to customer needs, and (dare I say it) increase their profit margins.

This may not be the Ireland of De Valera's (or indeed Klien's) dreams but from the shopkeepers' (and communities') points of view it is a lot better than the old days when a small shop's survival was left to the whims of 1 or 2 local Cash & Carry outfits whose own pricing and discounting policies could have a hugely distortionate effect on local competition.

It also beats the old setup where the arrival of a new Dunnes or Tesco in a locality would automatically sink the existing small shops because of their inability to widen their product ranges in response to the new competition.

(for what its worth, I have no connection whatsoever with the retail grocery or supermarket trade at any level)

on-topic!, i would think west waterford would be your best bet, or else somewhere near rossinver in leitrim where www.theorganiccentre.ie is, they run lots of excellent courses and would be useful for getting to know like-minded people. you would also have sligo not too far away, the only problem would be the airport connection aspect. you could also check out and see which convivium might suit you best. best of luck in your decision.

Re: looking for unspoiled Ireland - ramelton

check out ramelton in Donegal. Full of slightly off centre anti corporate, nature loving, irish singing, craft making, organic growing, villagers who are a law unto themselves. Lovely village.....Mick Hucknall from Simply red has a place nearby.....unspoiled Ireland at its best

If you've ever been to Seville, you'll know what I mean. It's a thriving city and has a great balance of modern convenience and heritage. People still shop in proper old markets, get their morning coffee at their tiny local cafe, and then go to their fancy job at the bank.

Right. You've found the model you want in Sevilla. I strongly doubt that you will find anything comparable in Ireland. I've lived in Ireland for most of my life and have sought exactly what you desire. I haven't found it here yet.

In my experience a semi-bohemian part of London, perhaps Crouch End or it's ilk, is more likely to provide what you're looking for. You won't get the Irish scenery but you'll have lots of green areas, parks and, of course Hampstead Heath - an unrivalled oasis. Above all, you'll have lots of like-minded people around you. You wont find many of them here.

Peach100, if you don't mind me saying this, much of what you say seems to me to be based on the theories of Naomi Klien in "No Logo". Compelling and all as Ms Klien’s arguments appear (at first glance, anyhow) in their original context, as someone who lives in rural Ireland, I honestly don't think that these theories have had much relevance here, at least as yet.

Interesting, I've never read it. Perhaps I shall.

Right. You've found the model you want in Sevilla. I strongly doubt that you will find anything comparable in Ireland. I've lived in Ireland for most of my life and have sought exactly what you desire. I haven't found it here yet.

In my experience a semi-bohemian part of London, perhaps Crouch End or it's ilk, is more likely to provide what you're looking for. You won't get the Irish scenery but you'll have lots of green areas, parks and, of course Hampstead Heath - an unrivalled oasis. Above all, you'll have lots of like-minded people around you. You wont find many of them here.

God that's depressing, but I'll take the challenge. Re bohemian London, found it in wonderful Stoke Newington. I just got tired of the crime, the hour and a half commute to work each way on an unreliable public transport system, and having to deal with the rest of rude and filthy London.
(I've lived in rural England too, so please no suggestions...)

on-topic!, i would think west waterford would be your best bet, or else somewhere near rossinver in leitrim where www.theorganiccentre.ie is, they run lots of excellent courses and would be useful for getting to know like-minded people. you would also have sligo not too far away, the only problem would be the airport connection aspect. you could also check out and see which convivium might suit you best. best of luck in your decision.

Great advice!

check out ramelton in Donegal. Full of slightly off centre anti corporate, nature loving, irish singing, craft making, organic growing, villagers who are a law unto themselves. Lovely village

Hee hee, also great advice. Many thanks!

God that's depressing, but I'll take the challenge. Re bohemian London, found it in wonderful Stoke Newington. I just got tired of the crime, the hour and a half commute to work each way on an unreliable public transport system, and having to deal with the rest of rude and filthy London.

Yes, I lived briefly in Stoke Newington. I'd prefer it to Crouch End but that's a personal thing.

Check out the public transport system in the part of Ireland in which you're interested. I think you'll find that it's virtualy non-existant at the times you would be most likely to use it. You wont find many complaints in rural Ireland about for a very simple reason - we are not used to services that might be useful for work or normal commerce - and are extraordinarily grateful for any rudimentary service the authorities deign to privilege us with. Most rural bus and rail services seem to be geared towards people on welfare, with free travel and who may not be constrained to departure and arrival times.

Many people in rural Ireland are commuting 2 hours each way to work. Even within Galway city it can take up to 1.5 hours to get from Renmore to Eyre Square by car if you pick your times unwisely - ie the very times you need to travel. There is no rail alternative.

Bottom line - if you've got substantial resources and would like to make sacrifices to live in Ireland, then go for it. I live in the west of Ireland, within easy reach of the coast, with good job, house, and I'm actively considering emigration for a better way of life.

All prices here are crazy. Particularly property prices.

To paraphrase the Scottish : GO HOME AND THINK AGAIN

Yes, I lived briefly in Stoke Newington. I'd prefer it to Crouch End but that's a personal thing.

Check out the public transport system in the part of Ireland in which you're interested. I think you'll find that it's virtualy non-existant at the times you would be most likely to use it. You wont find many complaints in rural Ireland about for a very simple reason - we are not used to services that might be useful for work or normal commerce - and are extraordinarily grateful for any rudimentary service the authorities deign to privilege us with. Most rural bus and rail services seem to be geared towards people on welfare, with free travel and who may not be constrained to departure and arrival times.

Many people in rural Ireland are commuting 2 hours each way to work. Even within Galway city it can take up to 1.5 hours to get from Renmore to Eyre Square by car if you pick your times unwisely - ie the very times you need to travel. There is no rail alternative.

Bottom line - if you've got substantial resources and would like to make sacrifices to live in Ireland, then go for it. I live in the west of Ireland, within easy reach of the coast, with good job, house, and I'm actively considering emigration for a better way of life.

All prices here are crazy. Particularly property prices.

To paraphrase the Scottish : GO HOME AND THINK AGAIN (with suitable rousing music, of course)

Personally I'd agree with the Donegal suggestion - I know the original poster mentioned needing to be near a decent Airport: From Donegal it's only a short skip to Derry airport, from where you can fly to Stanstead. Place is fairly littered with little fixer-upper cottages and there's a real market for crafts and traditional homemade foodfare.

Donegal has its own airport, Carrickfinn. Only an hour from Dublin and you're in heaven!

Donegal has its own airport, Carrickfinn. Only an hour from Dublin and you're in heaven!

Donegal. Heaven indeed. I agree.

If you've got a serious medical problem, the 3-4 hour road journey for dubious hospital care would bother me. The HSE certainly wont airlift you for treatment unless they're likely to suffer extreme embarrassment for not doing so.

Yes, you could be treated in Derry, the local major hospital but that's not how it works in Ireland, is it?

Back