Looking for recommendations or advice on buying electric soup maker

Up Rovers

Registered User
Messages
379
I use a slow cooker and a hand/stick blender myself.

That's a good idea alright and may save on another gadget hogging the worktops and something to think about. At 20 minutes approx this soup maker sounds quick and handy though.
 
Start with a big pot and immersion blender; a gadget is a waste of money if you dont like the food produced.

I use a slow cooker and a hand/stick blender myself.
Agreed, it takes longer but is one less gadget. I also sometimes sieve the soup after blending depending on what I put in (e.g. for tomato soup I don't bother peeling them before and sieving gives a smoother soup). All takes time but is quite satisfying all the same, especially with a few good tunes playing to accompany the work.
 
Give it a few days and the "Black Friday" deals will start appearing but agree with other posters it's another gadget that you don't really need
 
I looked at them in general but decided against. The quantity of soup they make is generally quite small at least for a family. So I would need to do soup more often. Also for me, the most time consuming part of a soup is the vegetable preparation that you still need to do. Once every thing is in the pot, it generally take 30 minutes for the cooking so not much difference. I use a stick blender mostly or sometimes a normal blender.
 
I have a fake thermomix. Chops, cooks, blends. Great for soup.

Also does a lot more. Rice cooker, slow cooker, mixer, blender, weighing scales, steamer, sous vide…

But even the fake version is pricey. I use it daily,
 
slow cooker all the way - can be use for huge number of foods. A joints ham slow cooked over 8 hour and then left to cool in the water is superb. You could then use the water as the base for your soup.

About €30-€55 for a crockpot depending on size.
 
I have enjoyed using a soupmaker (Morphy Richards( tho must admit it is in back of cupboard right now. It seems soup time of year is upon us again. It is a neat thing the size of a kettle and easy to wash. I suppose I like the timer function and knowing when you come back the soup is ready to pour into bowls. I think some have a function to keep warm after cooking finished. I do like to fry onions first tho and that is main ingrediant of most soups tho their recipes say just chuck in everything up to the line. Yes capacity would be about 4 portions.
 
I have a Daewoo from Lidl for about 5 years, Its excellent, It also kettle size, four portions. It makes smooth or chunky soup and has a keep warm function.
 
I have enjoyed using a soupmaker (Morphy Richards( tho must admit it is in back of cupboard right now. It seems soup time of year is upon us again. It is a neat thing the size of a kettle and easy to wash. I suppose I like the timer function and knowing when you come back the soup is ready to pour into bowls. I think some have a function to keep warm after cooking finished. I do like to fry onions first tho and that is main ingrediant of most soups tho their recipes say just chuck in everything up to the line. Yes capacity would be about 4 portions.
We have a Morphy Richards as well, I highly recommend it.
 
Back using it again these cold days. The max is one litre. I suppose you could dilute a bit with more liquid when made to stretch to more servings, perhaps is base mix extra flavoursome? I only put in a half of a stockpot but I know of others who might put three in!
 
Back using it again these cold days. The max is one litre. I suppose you could dilute a bit with more liquid when made to stretch to more servings, perhaps is base mix extra flavoursome? I only put in a half of a stockpot but I know of others who might put three in!
Ours is a bit bigger 1.6 Litres. I've been known to eat/drink the lot!
 
The size of the jug is deceptive. You can only fill to a maximum level which is half way up the jug.
 
Back
Top