Looking for original cast iron fireplaces

Red30

I'm looking to replace my existing fireplaces in my home with 2 original cast iron fireplaces - not reproductions. I've gone to a couple of suppliers in Dublin namely on Frances Street and Townsend Street, Dublin 2. They had good selections but prices are coming in at €2,500 each excluding fitting costs. Any other suggestions where you can get originals or restored cast iron fireplaces? We're based in Dublin but willing to travel.

Have you tried Salvage yards. I have to say that I generally find down the country a lot cheaper than Dublin if you are in a position to travel around.

I have an original "small bedroom type", frame only, that I purchased from a scrap yard 25 years ago sitting in my garage. I remember purchasing two at the time from a huge selection for about £100 each. They were so nice that I wanted to purchase the lot, restore them and keep them as an investment.!!! I also remember spending a lot of money on nitromors in an effort to peel off the layers of paint that had built up over the years, even getting down to discovering candle wax on one of the layers. One of them replaced an old 1950's tile fireplace in my last home. The smaller one I had intended to use as a "decorative" feature in a hallway of my last home but never got around to doing it. You say that they are selling for up to €2500 each now?....Hmmm!!...maybe I should have purchased the lot...better than money in the bank...or Eircom shares....or houses in Budapest....its still there if you want it.

Macs Salvage Yard Islandbridge, he had some last week. Upstairs in the warehouse against the back wall.

Thanks for the tips. Will try Macs Salvage yard. Thanks for the offer to buy your fireplaces BoxtheFox but I'm looking for larger ones to fit a 68 inch chimney breast.

A friend of mine recently bought original cast iron fireplaces - good selection and price apparently. Trouble is, this place in somewhere in Cork, near the Limerick boarder. If you're willing to travel that far, I could find out the details.

I got two beautiful but neglected fire places in Christy Birds in Portobello in Dublin, and then brought them to Paramount distributors on Montpelier Hill in Dublin 7, who did abeautiful job restoring them, providing firebacks etc.

I can also recommend Paramount restorers. They did a lovely job restoring two cast iron fireplaces for me about 8 years ago. Might be worth giving them a call as I think they used to have units for sale also.

Back