Looking for advice on retail business concept

sam-online

Im looking at a business concept that would basically allow people to rent a section of a shop for a fixed monthly rental, stock it themselves, but the main shop would sell the goods (like a market but with a central till).

My main concern is if people would go for this (would I be able to fill the available units)

Location is Prime, Cost in region of Euro700 p/m (all costs) plus percentage of sales (low), was hoping it would appeal to people that want to start a business without having to be there to sell there goods?

Looking for your opinions on this please ? - before I risk it all

All any comments welcome from as many as possible please..

Thanks in advance!

Have a long hard look at the fixed overheads like insurance on the goods (who is liable for stolen or damaged goods), disposal and liability of perishable goods, marketing etc.
Also have a clear picture of what you will do if a rent space but don't shift product (they could use your shop as a showroom and then sell the goods for less online).
Your staff will also have to know each of the products that you sell.

Sounds like a good idea would the person who is selling their goods have the option of being on site/there to sell the goods if they wanted to ...i imagine it would work for farmers produce or art/crafts...the rent would have to be quite low i imagine even 700 per month would be too much for a lot of people...was there not some problem a few years ago with supermarkets charging people to stock their product? Superquinn no? It may complicate the situation if this is not allowed?

Hi sam-online,

This is not a new concept, there are places in the UK that do something similar one example is [broken link removed] or [broken link removed] they provide small shop units that don't require manning and all units include business rates and utilities. There prices start from £22 per week so it looks like your price point could be on the high side. I would suggest that maybe you visit the UK and check out both of these sites and see how they operate.

Gook luck,

Matt

http://www.BetterBusinessResults.com

Had a look in more detail at those UK businesses, they are somewhat diffrent from what i had in mind and offer much smaller units taken up with lots of small businesses mostly based around antiques and brika-brack, they are also out of town day out sort of shopping experiance's.

It might be worth me splitting some units down into 3's or 4's to offer a much cheaper and smaller space.

What do people think of offering a per SqM price rather than a set unit price...(would be around Euro30 per SqM)

All comments welcome !!

I think it really depends on the location of the units in terms of footfall and demographic of passing trade. Also you need to consider who would be typical tenants of this kind of space and how you would reach them. Perhaps it might be worth putting up an advert in the commercial section of daft and guaging what response you get. You could then devise some kind of questionnaire to ask people that respond to guage their interest. This would allow you to test the market even before you had the units available.

Back