Health Insurance Looking for advice on moving from VHI PMI 0710 to PMI 3513.

Up Rovers

Hi,

3 adults presently covered on VHI PMI 0710 and thinking of moving to PMI 3513.

The premiums are very similar but the day to day cover is a lot better on PMI 3513 - €3,000 as compared to €1,000.

Rang VHI and they have confirmed that the hospital cover is exactly the same and have confirmed the better day to day which they say will commence immediately after renewal so Upgrade Rule does not apply to that.

Just looking for confirmation if the above is correct and that it is a good idea to move or if there is an even better plan available?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Hi,

3 adults presently covered on VHI PMI 0710 and thinking of moving to PMI 3513.

The premiums are very similar but the day to day cover is a lot better on PMI 3513 - €3,000 as compared to €1,000.

Rang VHI and they have confirmed that the hospital cover is exactly the same and have confirmed the better day to day which they say will commence immediately after renewal so Upgrade Rule does not apply to that.

Just looking for confirmation if the above is correct and that it is a good idea to move or if there is an even better plan available?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Hi Up Rovers,

I suggest you give VHI's PMI 5310 some consideration. It comes in slightly cheaper than the other two plans at 1,272 per annum per adult.

PMI 5310 is regarded as a very good Public and Private Corporate plan. Cover is almost identical to the cover with PMI 3513. There is a saving of €90 if you are renewing for three adults on PMI 5310.

I hope this is helpful.

Hi,

If they confirmed that the hospital cover is exactly the same then that's not entirely true.

PMI 0710 has a limit of 1 €150 inpatient hospital excess per member per year. It also has 90% cover for inpatient non cardiac FPP's level 1.

PMI 3513 excess is €100 per hospital claim (no limit). It also offers 100% inpatient non cardiac FPPs level 1.

It appears that PMI 3513 offers better inpatient cover and day to day cover as you say. 0710 is a very useful plan if there were many planned visits to a hospital in a year that weren't non cardiac FPP's.

Hi @Starrynights

Thank you for your reply.

Having a change of plan and wondering instead of going for PMI 4810 which I hope has better inpatient cover. Have yet to check out the Table of Benefits regarding excesses on both policies.

I do know that the premium is quite a bit higher but I think that I will have a lot more day to day expenses in the coming year with possibly 2 cataract operations. I understand about the 80% opthalmic rule and wonder if any of the private hospitals are waiving the 20% extra these days?

I have been told by a few people in VHI that the higher cover on the day to day will kick in immediately and that the 2 year upgrade rule does not apply to this aspect of the policy?

Thanks.

Hi @Starrynights

Thank you for your reply.

Having a change of plan and wondering instead of going for PMI 4810 which I hope has better inpatient cover. Have yet to check out the Table of Benefits regarding excesses on both policies.

I do know that the premium is quite a bit higher but I think that I will have a lot more day to day expenses in the coming year with possibly 2 cataract operations. I understand about the 80% opthalmic rule and wonder if any of the private hospitals are waiving the 20% extra these days?

I have been told by a few people in VHI that the higher cover on the day to day will kick in immediately and that the 2 year upgrade rule does not apply to this aspect of the policy?

Thanks.
No problem at all.

PMI 4810 has basically the same cover as PMI 3513. It has slightly lower excesses and covers private rooms (for €50 per night extra excess). This is the only plan of the bunch with this but it doesn't matter if semi private rooms suit.

4810 is a decent bit more money. A good bridge might be PMI 4610. It's about a hundred cheaper. It covers 75% for GP and consultants but the rest of day to day is 50%

I'd give good consideration to Laya Simply connect or Simply connect plus. It covers opthalmic procedures in full ( with the standard hospitals excesses). You could confirm directly with Laya that your cataracts is covered. However if it's planned for the coming year Laya might count it as an upgrade vs your current VHI plan and impose the 2 year waiting time for full cover. They will have to give you the same cover as your current VHI plan though, (likely 80%).

Day to day cover upgrade has no waiting period.

Back