Best Buy Looking for a modem for 1 Gbps fibre broadband connection which supports OPEN VPN client and VOIP

TestLink

I am looking for a modem for 1 Gbps fibre broadband connection, which supports OPEN VPN client setup and VOIP. The current ISP provided one that doesnt support Open VPN. I heard that the current Eir Gigabit fibre modem supports this setup. Can someone provide the make and model of eir modem so that I can buy it?

Required Specs:

Line Type: VDSL (Very high bit rate Digital Subscriber Line)

Connection mode: PPPoE

Open VPN compatible

VOIP compatible

I am looking for a modem for 1 Gbps fibre broadband connection, which supports OPEN VPN client setup and VOIP. The current ISP provided one that doesnt support Open VPN. I heard that the current Eir Gigabit fibre modem supports this setup. Can someone provide the make and model of eir modem so that I can buy it?

Required Specs:

Line Type: VDSL (Very high bit rate Digital Subscriber Line)

Connection mode: PPPoE

Open VPN compatible

VOIP compatible
I've never needed to do this so may be misguiding you, but I'd just buy a openvpn router (not a modem) and connect it via ethernet to whatever modem your current ISP provides.

You can then still use your current modem for VOIP - assume you mean it's got a telephone port in it.

If you've fiber to the home that's not VDSL - is it?

My current setup is as below:
Fibre box -> ISP router
ISP Router -> My Personal router with Open VPN

All devices connect to my own personal router for getting dhcp ip address

But the speed I get now is substantially low! Only around 90 Mbps. While I connect directly to the ISP router I get 900 Mbps. So massive decrease in speed.

So if I have a router that supports both Open VPN client + VOIP for my land telephone, I could get rid of my own router and also the ISP router. Hope this makes sense.

My current setup is as below:
Fibre box -> ISP router
ISP Router -> My Personal router with Open VPN

All devices connect to my own personal router for getting dhcp ip address

But the speed I get now is substantially low! Only around 90 Mbps. While I connect directly to the ISP router I get 900 Mbps. So massive decrease in speed.

So if I have a router that supports both Open VPN client + VOIP for my land telephone, I could get rid of my own router and also the ISP router. Hope this makes sense.
I'd guess your personal router has a 100Mb ethernet port connecting it to the Fiber modem, you need one with 1Gb ethernet ports.

My Eir Gigabit fibre router/modem is a SAGEMCOM Swan F5366s, installed a few months ago.

Unless you’re with Eir though I would not go this route, any time you ring your provider for support they’ll tell you the modem is the problem and you’ll need to put theirs back.

If you get 1Gb while plugged directly into your providers’ modem but less when you go through your router, then the issue is surely your router. It may have gigabit ports, but the processors in cheaper devices are often not capable of actually handling that kind of speed. Hence why the likes of Eir have to use much beefier modems now than they used to.

My Eir Gigabit fibre router/modem is a SAGEMCOM Swan F5366s, installed a few months ago.

Unless you’re with Eir though I would not go this route, any time you ring your provider for support they’ll tell you the modem is the problem and you’ll need to put theirs back.

If you get 1Gb while plugged directly into your providers’ modem but less when you go through your router, then the issue is surely your router. It may have gigabit ports, but the processors in cheaper devices are often not capable of actually handling that kind of speed. Hence why the likes of Eir have to use much beefier modems now than they used to.

Does your SAGEMCOM Swan F5366s has OPEN VPN client setup possible via its admin interface? Also would it allow you to connect a land phone (voip) on to it?

No, My router has gigabit lan ports. So 1000 Mbps.
Have you tried a few different ethernet cables between modem and router? Older cables will be limited to 100Mb.

If you're getting 100Mb from your router there's something wrong there - I'd be slow to swap out the provided modem for the reason Zenith mentioned above.

It might be because of double NATing. Because the ISP router issue Ip to my personal router. and then all the devices in my home gets ip from my personal router.

Have you tried a few different ethernet cables between modem and router? Older cables will be limited to 100Mb.

If you're getting 100Mb from your router there's something wrong there - I'd be slow to swap out the provided modem for the reason Zenith mentioned above.
Any Cat5 or better cable should give up to 1Gbps if available. I'd be very surprised if cabling was a limiting factor unless it was very old ethernet cable...

It might be because of double NATing. Because the ISP router issue Ip to my personal router. and then all the devices in my home gets ip from my personal router.
Why do you think that that would downgrade the speed?

Because when I directly connect my devices to the ISP router, I am getting 900Mbps. When it goes through my own router speed comes down drastically .

Because when I directly connect my devices to the ISP router, I am getting 900Mbps. When it goes through my own router speed comes down drastically .
If you wire two devices to your own router what speed do you get between them?

When I connect to my own router I get about 90 Mbps. When I connect to ISP router directly I get 900 Mbps !

Fritz!box 7530 is the ISP router

ASUS RT-AX88U is my personal router
OK so the router should be technically capable of 1Gb/s.

It’s interesting that you’re getting almost exactly 100Mb/s, have you checked the connection properties of the network card on your laptop to see if it says it is connecting at 100 or 1000Mb/s when plugged into the router? Somebody else suggested it, but have you tried other cables? Gigabit needs all four pairs, if a pair is damaged you’ll get 100Mb/s automatically.

This thread is also worth a look, sounds like you’re not the only one to experience this issue with that router. Replacement with non-ASUS firmware seems to have solved it for some. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ax88u-lan-to-wan-speed-problem.64394/

Back