looking at different ways to advertise a new biz

dockingtrade

just looking at different ways to advertise a new biz. On the net came across a site that runs ads via a screen in well known service station chains.

Just wondering how are they doing this? Do they pay the service station for use of the space in which they can advertise or would the service station contract out advertising space?

Re: advertising

Hi There,
Best of luck with the new business. I'd imagine that there is a company that have placed these on the forecourts and that you would need to approach the ad. company.
I know of this type of advertising in credit unions and McDonalds and the feedback I've had is that it hasn't been very successful !!
Ideally the thing to do is to get a good number of companies that are currently using the service and contact there marketing departments to see how they feel about it.
Regards,
Shmee

It would be useful to sit down and work out who your target audience are. What kind of business are you in?

I'd be sure some of these adverts will actually carry a note of the company who manages them like the larger billboards do, maybe even the same people.

I would think that this type of advertising could be pretty wasteful unless you are specifically targetting motorists. Even if you are I would still question whether it is the most cost effective method, but like anything you would have to test it to find out. If you are going to use it then you would want to incorporate some kind of direct response mechanism into the advert so you can track how many sales result from it and then you can see if it is worth continuting. So many businesses owners go into these types of campaigns blind with no way of tracking response rates.

The other thing to consider is that if you are filling your car at a busy service station how much time are you going to have to watch the ads? If there is a big queue and people waiting behind you then more than likely you aren't going to stand watching to the end of the advert.

As paddi22 suggests until we know what market this business is in it is hard to give specific advice. However it should be possible to target potential prospects more effectively than blanket adverts at service stations. If you are set on this method of advertising then this company seem to big the main provider [broken link removed]

Matt

www.BetterBusinessResults.com

was talking to a friend about this and apparently it's very expensive with very little return.

thanks very much for all the repsonses. This business is at concept stage
(very well thought out), just looking at ways to promote it (business plan starting today). I came across cads.ie and trying to work out how 3rd party company uses another companies space to advertise. Do the service stations contract out advertising or sell the rights to advertise on their space? Id like to undersatnd how this works...everything seems to be out sourced these days :)

the business is a community based website, forums, classifieds, mypages, fotos, etc... i know loads out there doing it, just going to give it a lash. Want to advertise in the real world as well as adsense etc.. After researching web based advedrtising the real world is so difficult tp track success of campaigns , roi etc plus much more expensive. But I think real world advertising gives a bit more cred to a web based business....maybe?

I think a roughly thought out business plan would be of benefit to you and your business concept. Among other things such a plan would force you to think about the following:
What goods and services are you providing?
Who are your customers?
What are their needs and wants?
How is your product/service goint to meet those needs?
How are you going to get your product/service to the customers?

If you are going to do advertising you need to consider what the message is and who the audience is first --- before considering the media to be employed.

If your target audience is in the internet media, I think it makes much more sense to apply your advertising to the same medium. The people using your service are likely to be reasonably sophistocated web users, so I can't see outdoor advertising working. Typically these type of people will search for the service or website they are looking for using google or something like that. So maybe you should use Google Adwords, where payment is on a pay-per-click basis and you can set a maximum daily budget. Allows you to keep on top of advertising spend, while getting metrics on effectiveness

Try these people. M+M advertising, they do the back of till receipt rolls. €57 per week, very inexpensive and the amount of people that it would get to. Might not be the best option tho but its cheap as chips.

Back