Looking at changing gas boiler - advice needed

Susie2017

I recently had a boiler serviced. I also had a pressure pump placed in my hotpress. Now my gas boiler is leaking all over my countertop, mainly when in use, quite a bit. Boiler is 20 years old. Guy who serviced boiler says I should consider putting a pressure vessel in my hotpress. Im not sure if this leak is linked to the installation of the pump. He says cost of putting in expansion vessel will be around 250. Cost of new boiler is 2k. He says heat exchanger in bolier is also badly scaled so that even if i put in this vessel the life of the boiler is limited. Any opinions on this scenario welcome ? What is the lifespan of a vokera boiler ? Is it worth doing this fix ?

20 year boiler? Surely you'd get an SEAI grant and it would reduce the cost of that. We did the same with a 10 year old boiler. Needed an expansion valve and just made the decision it wasnt worth it. Boiler always made crazy noises from day one. I never knew these things were supposed to be quiet...........until we got the new one!

20 year boiler? Surely you'd get an SEAI grant and it would reduce the cost of that. We did the same with a 10 year old boiler. Needed an expansion valve and just made the decision it wasnt worth it. Boiler always made crazy noises from day one. I never knew these things were supposed to be quiet...........until we got the new one!

As far as I can gather SEAI have now changed their grant system and only allow for heating controls upgrade and not replacement boilers. They are concentrating more on ground source systems instead http://www.*****************.com/grants-available-for-new-boilers.html

Yes I think you are correct, grant goes towards the controls. Anyone feel it is worth trying to fix the boiler ? A new heat exchanger is 450, plus an expansion vessel is 250. It was working ok until the pump went in, not sure if its connected. Now the pump is going off and on every two seconds, not sure if its related. Good grief.

Now my gas boiler is leaking all over my countertop, mainly when in use, quite a bit. Boiler is 20 years old. Guy who serviced boiler says I should consider putting a pressure vessel in my hotpress. Im not sure if this leak is linked to the installation of the pump.

Is the water coming from the boiler itself or the pipework coming near the boiler? No competent, reputable plumber would have left a house without testing the system wasn't leaking after a service.

I'm assuming the pump installed was to increase the pressure of water from the taps or mixer shower? Installing one of these should have no effect whatsoever on your boiler working, as the input should be coming from the hot water tank and the mains, and not directly from the boiler.

A pressure vessel will do nothing to improve a leak!

Well i did upgrade the heating controls. I'd assume with a 20 year old boiler your heating controls could also do with an upgrade!!

I upgraded my boiler ( and got the SEAI grant) a few yrs back to the Bosch Worchester boiler. Fantastic boiler, costs a bit more than the average but definitely worth it in my opinion. I had gons thru all sorts of messing trying to fix the old one, and it wasn't as old as yours. My advice: Bite the bullet and get a new one.

Having looked at it I think there might be two leaks. One from a copper pipe ? Entering the boiler at the back and one from a horizontal pipe mid way down in the actual boiler, although it's difficult as I clearly don't know how it all works. I find it difficult to believe that this could happen immediately after a service. When I called him he blamed it on an internal pressure vessel so longer working that I would need an extra one in the hotpress. I just have an ordinary copper cylinder in the hotpress at the moment with nearby new pump. Another plumber I have asked to take a look at it says he supples ?wiessman boilers that they are good. I also heard Baxi is good and can't be connected to a device that removes sludge. Again I'm clueless so am open to hearing all solutions in advance of meeting with new plumber

When I called him he blamed it on an internal pressure vessel so longer working that I would need an extra one in the hotpress.
A faulty internal expansion vessel will result in excess pressure when the water is heated causing the safety valve to pass

My experience is that once something gives consistent problems and is old then it’s time for new. And buy the best you can afford.

Back