Looking after your own - Offaly Airport

TheRed

An Bord Pleanala

[broken link removed]

• Case Type: Private Development S.37B consultations
  • Description: Proposed International Airport and associated buildings, international modal distribution centre, commercial technology R and D and education campus, energy park, rail link and motorway interchange
  • Planning Authority: Offaly County Council
  • Category: Strategic Infrastructure Dev
  • Date lodged: 06/02/2009
  • Parties
    • Midlands Airport Development Ltd (Prospective Appl

Fair play to them for having a go in these bad times, if we had more people like these we would have no problem in overcoming the present problems.

I suppose Brian could fly the government jst straight to Offally, Save him having to stay over in Dublin.

To be fair....Offaly is a better location for an airport anyway. The centre of a country the size of Ireland is the logical position for an international airport.

Visit me in Athlone you mean, San? You are SO not getting visitation rights to the kid now.

Looking after your own? Did our fine leader come up with this idea? Back it financially? Give it political favours (so far)? No! So how is it looking after your own?

Anyways I think its a great idea but should be moved up a wee bit closer to Moate so we (Westmeath :) ) claim it as our own!! Haha

On a serious note, according to the media reports the idea behind the plan is a bit different to all the other regional airports - this is to be (in theory) a low cost, long haul airport designed to take large planes serving far away places for low fares. It could be a nice base for RyanAthlantic and with a half decent rail connection it could be 1.5hrs from Dublin City Centre and 1.25hr from Galway City Centre... which is'nt half bad compared to existing options!

I'd like to know more about the backers, financiers and proposed airline customers etc... because whilst it has long term traction as an idea, I think it could be put on the backburner for a few years!

I think they should move it south west , oh wait on, we have one there already called Shannon.

Back