Longwood, Co. Meath

howareya

Myself and my wife were thinking of buying a house in longwood Co. Meath. We have 3 young children. Any opinions on the area. What are the locals like.
Any clubs or societies in the area.
What is the comute to dublin like.
Any social scene at all

Re: Anyone know anything about Longwood, Co. Meath

Longwood's nice - very rural, but close-ish to commute to Dublin.
Personally I would choose Enfield over Longwood as it has easier transport links and a better village with more shops, restaurants, pubs etc.

Thanks itsmine. We did look at Enfield already. We taught it was too close to dublin even though Longwood is only a few miles down the road there's more of a rural feeling to Longwood.

Hi,

My mum has lived in Longwood for the past 5 years & loves it. It's got a really friendly community feel, and it's really not much further out than Enfield. Now that it's growing quite a lot, there's quite a few facilities cropping up around the village.

Feel free to ask if there's anything else I can help with!

B

Longwood is a very up and coming area in South Co. Meath. There are relatively few services in the village at the moment but this will change in the near future.

There is an excellent GAA club in the village that cater primarily for children.

There is a new national school to be built outside the village by 2008 and work is due to commence soon on the upgrading of the post primary vocational school.

The village itself looks a bit shabby of late but the estates themselves seem to kept in good order.

There seems to be a rough element in the village that has surfaced recently intent on causing damage to property and general anti social behaviour but this is a side effect of the recent population explosion.

All in all it is a pleasant village that seems to have a good community spirit and pleasant surroundings with good city links.

Doesn't sound too bad. I suppose the anti social behaviour is everywhere and we have to put up with it. Thanks for the info

I know people who moved to Longwood about five years ago. They have had no problems there, but have said there is a rough element to the place too.

I would definitely buy in Enfield too. We have lived in the area for a while now and even though there is a problem with HGV going through the village (apparently is going to be resolved very soon ) it is very, very quiet once you enter into the various housing estates.

Of course another issue is price and not too many new developments suitable for families, although Newcastle Woods (off the main road) is about to go on sale.

I hope it helps, definitely Enfield is the place for me and the people is very friendly, a good mixture of locals and families moving from Dublin.

Hi There,
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents about longwood and enfield, I grew up in a village near Trim by and by the time I had finished school I ran out of the place as fast as my little legs could carry me.

The only thing Longwood has for it is it's proximity to Dublin, as by the time your kids grow up at least they wont have too far to travel to get back to see you...

Have you looked at Naas, my mum moved there and I must say it is a bustling town, lods to do, shops good pubs, parks the lot...

Hi there,

I know I am 15 years late to the conversation here but I have only discovered Longwood on recent searches of houses in the area. We plan on moving from Dublin and still be within a short commute and it seems a likely contender. I'd be interested in hearing what it's like to live in now for a young family also. Thanks!

If you are looking for a close commuter town I would recommend north kildare (Leixlip / maynooth/ Celbridge) . Long wood is a good trek from Dublin

If you are looking for a close commuter town I would recommend north kildare (Leixlip / maynooth/ Celbridge) . Long wood is a good trek from Dublin
Probably 20% more expensive than Meath? Maynooth is as dear as Dublin suburbs. Closer but theres a sting in the tail financially.

Hi there,

I know I am 15 years late to the conversation here but I have only discovered Longwood on recent searches of houses in the area. We plan on moving from Dublin and still be within a short commute and it seems a likely contender. I'd be interested in hearing what it's like to live in now for a young family also. Thanks!
Where in Dublin is key to this. Will you be working from home a lot more than heretofore? Where do you work?
What are your kids school requirements?
Do they/you need/want to go to a Gaelscoil/Educate Together/Non-Religious school?
Are you thinking of moving to Longwood because it's cheaper or because it fulfills your needs?

its not a " good trek from Dublin " its 48 minutes according to google maps

all of those areas in North Kildare are at least 50% more expensive than Longwood , those are great locations but not even typical of Kildare prices overall on average

its not a " good trek from Dublin " its 48 minutes according to google maps

all of those areas in North Kildare are at least 50% more expensive than Longwood , those are great locations but not even typical of Kildare prices overall on average
I would consider 48 mins a good trek if doing it twice daily for commute. I take your point on board re prices

48 mins with no traffic! I live near longwood but nearer Dublin and I would only get to O Connell bridge in 48 mins at night.

48 mins with no traffic! I live near longwood but nearer Dublin and I would only get to O Connell bridge in 48 mins at night.

Reminds me of a colleague of mine. He’s the type of person that doesn’t take advice. He’d only been living in Ireland six months when he bought a house to the west of Lucan.
When asked if he was concerned about the comment, he said he’d viewed the house a couple of times before purchasing, “the taxi ride only took 30 minutes. I’ll be fine”.

For the remainder of our time working together he used to complain about the commute. “90 minutes today! Why doesn’t the fast lane go faster?”. And so on.

I remember people in the Celtic Tiger moving up to Virginia in Co Cavan and commuting to Dublin ... " a 5 bed house for the price of a 1 bed apartment in town" etc. Maybe it happens now. Not good for your sanity and pocket.

Back