Long delay in cashing foreign cheque - finally not value quoted - why?

Deirdra

Wonder if I could ask advice - I cashed a US dollar cheque for 4,400 US dollars, see below the email correspondance from the bank - it finally lodged last week after 6 weeks but at just over 3,000 euros, compared to the email confirmation of 3,276 euros so I am down 200 euros. I don't really see that I have to accept the difference, it seems to have lost value during the 'collection' period. When I checked in the bank, after 5 weeks, they told me 'it's an irregular transaction, that's why it takes so long'. Do you think I can fight this and get the amount they quoted originally???

First email:
"First for the Us dollar cheque we would have to send it off on
collection usually takes about 3-4weeks to get lodged into your account."

Second email:
"We have also recieved your cheque and the amount it was converted to was €3276.74."

Third email:
"My collegue has recieved your Us dollar cheque (4400) from our foreign department, as it is drawn on HONG KONG Bank we need to send it on collection which will take a max of 8wks to return into your account, usually this process is quick so it shouldnt take to long to be lodged into your account."

Thanks for any advice

There is generally a charge for sending chqs for collection & also there may be a foreign bank charge which can be expensive.

Your bank is only going to pay you what they received for the cheque. Rates may have changed over the period.

Check with your bank & they'll be able to clarify the charges for you.

Back