London something special and Different

kaiser1

Hi All

Hoping you can help suggest some advice for a Trip to London next month,
Basically I have searched the threads and got some good tips but would appreciate any suggestions for a special and not too expensive trip for someone I want to impress as its a surprise - we wont have alot of time only fri afternoon - sun afternoon.
Want to squeeze in as many sights as we can to get full value of the 2 days.

So Far I've come up with this

Staying near Russell Sq for 2 nights
its near the British Meusuem so will go there
Also wanted to see real dinosaurs (bones anyway) so will also visit natural history one too. (bit of culture)
Take her to Harrods and Oxford st for a bit of shopping (or maybe browsing!)
Do the london Bus tour, Tower bridge, London Tower, London Eye.
Want to book a table in the Ivy for pre theathre dinner
Then off to Drury lane to see the Lord of the Rings production.
Also want to take her to the ice bar where everything is made of ice for somthing cool :)
Am stuck on a good club to go to though and anything else that anyone could suggest thats not going to take up too much time.

Any suggestions that would impress a girl and that isnt going to blow my bank balance away ?? :) basically! ;)

Thanks

K

Jewel off Leicster Square is lovely for cocktails, Tiger Tiger is good for late night drinks still kicking at 4 (friday is not to ravy) Madam Tusauds is a great way to spend a few hours (pre book tickets to avoid queues). The aqaurium at the london eye is pretty cool if you've never seen a shark close up. enjoy :)

Are you big Lord of the Rings fans? If not, skip the show - you won't have a clue what's going on if you haven't read the book/seen the films.

Madam Tussauds is pricey, book tickets through lastminute.com for some discounts.

Harrods and Oxford St are quite a way apart (don't forget the dresscode for Harrods), travel eats valuable time.

If you can squeeze in a fab Sunday lunch, head to the Idle Hour pub (www.theidlehour.co.uk) - I know it's a little outside Central London but the food is worth it and it's a quaint little pub, very romantic.

Harrods & Oxford St might be quite a way apart but only if you are walking. It's only about 10 mins by tube.

Went to the British museum about a month ago - worth a visit & free - but it's pretty big. To be honest I got slightly bored after about 1.5 hours. Natural History museum is great though.

For an unpretentious, cheap & good quality lunch there is a Greek/middle eastern café a few steps from Leicester Sq tube, on Caring Cross Road - excellent!

You could also try a Thames river cruise (leaving near Westminster Bridge) takes about an hour - £10 each.

If you are going to the Natural History Museum don't forget the Science Museum just around the corner. It is totally fascinating but you need 3 to 4 hours to get any feel for the place.

To be honest, all those things like dinner at the Ivy and drinks in the ice bar would blow my bank balance!!! Was at the Ivy once and have to say I couldn't see what the fuss was about. Didn't even recognise anyone!

Have to admit I am sucker for the tour of the Tower Of london Go there everytime I am in london (which is quiet alot!!)

The Thames River tour is part of the ticket price on the Big Red Bus tour.
Nice way to work back up the city from the Tower of London.

Kaiser
London eye is a definite, great views of the city. Make sure to book tickets in advance as queues can be long, you might think about doing this on the Sunday morning as mornings are quieter.
I went to the Ice bar last year - not too impressed to be honest - would rather have a drink in a nice warm pub!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back