Lodging a cheque that's written out for two people?

peterwilson

Hi
If I try to lodge a cheque with my bank that's written out to myself and my brother will they kick up a fuss?
will we both need to be there?
Thanks
PW

Hi
If I try to lodge a cheque with my bank that's written out to myself and my brother will they kick up a fuss?
will we both need to be there?
Thanks
PW

Get both persons to sign the back, its ok then. Done it loads of times with UBL for crossed cheques. (dividend cheques)

Sorry it's not crossed!
(that's signed on the back by my brother right?)
Thanks
No - crossed means two vertical lines on the face of the cheque possibly with the words "a/c payee only" or similar. This normally indicates that the cheque can only be lodged to an account rather than cashed directly. Crossed cheques payable to more than one person may only be lodged to a joint account depending on how strict the bank are on checking these things. Endorsement by either or both payees (i.e. their signature(s) on the reverse) may help them to relax the normal rules. However last time I had a crossed cheque payable to myself and my wife PTSB refused point blank to lodge it to an account in either sole name even if it was endorsed and I had to lodge it to a joint account.

Back