Lodging a cheque-can someone other than me lodge to my account?

muesli

hi,
quick question - can another person lodge a cheque (made out to me) into my bank account or does the cheque have to be lodged by the person it is made out to ?
Thanks in advance for any answers !
M.

Re: Lodging a Cheque

It shouldn't be a problem, but a couple of things to bear in mind:

1. Giving your account details to someone else could be risky
2. If it is a cheque over a certain amount (€10k I think), the bank is obliged to query the source of funds.

Call the bank beforehand just in case - I did it once for a mate and she had to sign the back of the cheque, but you may not need to.

I found quick lodge great. i stock up on slips and envelopes monthly and it makes life alot easier!

If it goes in via quick lodge, the bank has no way of checking who paid it in. I've never been asked for ID when paying in a check at the counter. Their only concern is that the payee on the cheque matches the account holder.

a family member of mine lodged a cheque made out to me to my account once. i can't see it being a problem. i would check with the bank though just to be sure.

Re: Lodging a Cheque

CCOVICH said:
It shouldn't be a problem, but a couple of things to bear in mind:

1. Giving your account details to someone else could be risky

I suppose every extra person you give it to creates some additional risk but I wonder how many people consider that anyone you have ever paid a cheque to has had your name, account number, sort code and a sample of your signature?

Back