Lodgements into a deceased person's bank account

Jeanmac

Hi - I was wondering if I could get some advice about this please.

Is there a way of handling this as the cheque can't be endorsed?
Some of the cheques are dated prior to the death, and some were issued after.
The bank is unaware of the death, as it is quite recent (this month) - can the cheques be lodged prior before the bank is notified of the death and of who the executor is. The executor had POA but I understand that this is no longer valid after the death.

Once the bank is informed, will the accounts be locked down completely, i.e. will incoming payments still be accepted? There are no direct debits going out of the accounts.

thanks in advance.

Sole account I think- some banks addressed the statements & other documentation to both names i.e. the account owner (on one line) and the POA with an (s) suffixed to the POA's name (on another line). Does that make it more than a sole account?

Other banks had the POA recorded, but the account name was still the account owner.

The deceased person was retired.

thanks.

From my experience, you can lodge money to deceased a/c but not withdraw.

What if they were joint a/c holders, with permission to withdraw given to both parties? I know I did this with a deceased relative and had no problems after the person passed away. It was with a Credit Union.

My landlady died earlier this year, and I didn't even know until a rent payment bounced - it was 2 months later so I presume it takes about that long.
If there is an executor on the deceased will they can probably accept the cheque on behalf of the estate of the deceased.

Back