Locks/Security

T

tommyw

There have been a few break-ins in the apartment block I'm in. It's city centre, but the first in the block that I've heard of in the 3 years I've been here. But, anyway I'm thinking of beefing up security. The only access point to my apartment is the front door, and this is already a solid core door and I have two good locks on it. However, the girlfriend is not convinced! I'm thinking if burglars want to break down a door, then no amount of locks is gonna stop that, but maybe I'm wrong?

I saw some amazing locks on apartments in Spain, and apparently they're standard over there. Basically about 8 strong steel circular locks situated all along the full length of the side of the door, which lock into place with a few turns of the key. Are these available? Are they overkill? What's the alternative? I guess I'm willing to pay over the odds for good, even over the top, security, particularly when weighted against the emotional and real cost of a break-in. Any advice welcome.

If you are in Dublin there are a few good locksmiths who would be worth a phone call to such as [broken link removed] There's another good one just off Parliament St. but don't know the name. Broderick J X Ltd., 21 Dawson st, D/2 (01) 6767884 are supposed to be good but I have never used them myself.

Personally I'm more nervous about too much security and the possibility of a fire and not being able to get out because of too many locks.

Is it possible to pick modern locks such as come on high spec PVC frame doors with multiple bolts going into the frame or kick down such doors? I'd hoped that was enough for high security.

Don't know what floor you're on but a friend of mine (in a house) was robbed by a thief simply removing the whole window pane from the frame and climbing through!

Apparently it's easy on PVC windows (urban myth?)

Back