locked out of PermTSB online banking

Zapatista

Hello All,

I was just locked out of PermTSB online banking. Apparently I put the wrong details in 3 times, therefore locking my account. After thinking I made a mistake the first time I made sure I put in the correct details with the correct spelling on the second attempt to be told again they were incorrect. So I double checked that the CAPS lock was off and typed in my details one digit at a time to be greeted with the message "This account has been locked".

I phoned them up and asked if they could explain why my account was locked when I am absolutely certain that the details I put in were correct (I have accessed this account online at least twice a week for the last 4or5 years) . The guy told me he did not have that specific information -fair enough.

My question is should I be concerned that somebody may have/ have had access to my account ? Is there any chance my details could have been changed without my knowledge?

Zapa. :confused:

I was just locked out of PermTSB online banking. Apparently I put the wrong details in 3 times, therefore locking my account. After thinking I made a mistake the first time I made sure I put in the correct details with the correct spelling on the second attempt to be told again they were incorrect. So I double checked that the CAPS lock was off and typed in my details one digit at a time to be greeted with the message "This account has been locked".
I've done this before - been sure that I had entered the correct details but obviously hadn't and got locked out.
I phoned them up and asked if they could explain why my account was locked when I am absolutely certain that the details I put in were correct (I have accessed this account online at least twice a week for the last 4or5 years) . The guy told me he did not have that specific information -fair enough.

My question is should I be concerned that somebody may have/ have had access to my account ? Is there any chance my details could have been changed without my knowledge?
Doubt it. Chances are that no matter how sure you are that you entered the correct details you actually did not.

I've done this before - been sure that I had entered the correct details but obviously hadn't and got locked out.

Doubt it. Chances are that no matter how sure you are that you entered the correct details you actually did not.

I don't make mistakes :cool:

To be honest I would say (and have done) exactly what you said to me Clubman. But on the third attempt I don't mess about.

Anyway I phoned them up and they assured me that I will be back online in a couple of hours and my account balance is low but unchanged :eek:

Zapa.

But on the third attempt I don't mess about.
Unless you take special steps (e.g. run a key logger to see exactly what is going into the masked password field) you cannot be 100% sure that you entered the correct password as far as I know. I would still be pretty sure that you made a mistake (just as I presumably did when I was sure that I had not!) and that was the cause of the lock out. I would not be inclined to assume that security on the account was compromised in some way but there is no harm in being cautious in this sort of context.

I'm back online now with a new password. Strangely enough when I selected the new password it needed to be 8 digits max. My old password was 11 digits. If this is a recent change maybe my old password was rendered invalid.

Anyway like I said all is well in my world again so I won't worry about it.

Zapa.

Back