Location of speed cameras

Mourinho

I see the AA in the UK have published the location of all fixed speed cameras in their latest Road Map publication. The Irish Times reports today that there are approx. 20 fixed speed cameras in the RoI. I have further read that the location of them is fairly obvious - well I dont know where they are - so where are they??

Well, there's one just before the first set of traffic lights after the UCD flyover on the heading into town side of the road.

One just opposite the Spa Hotel in Lucan again on the heading into town side of the road.

One at Con Colbert (sp?) Road, again heading into town.

Janet said:
Well, there's one just before the first set of traffic lights after the UCD flyover on the heading into town side of the road.

Are you sure this is not the Dublin Corporation camera?

I didn't think there was a speed camera there, although the boys in blue are known to hide behind the UCD flyover (heading into town) catching people who exceed the (controversially low) speed limit which is easy to do as it is a good wide road and you are going downhill!

I dont think we should protect boy racers though. While I might occasionally "flash" someone re a speed check, if they were all spoilers, arials, big exhausts and 'dragon' painting I wouldnt bother. Some drivers endanger other drivers, themselves and pedestrians - so a few penalty points might cop them on.

Much and all as I am a sceptic on many laws and rules etc., I am willing to support this one because, lets face it, people are getting killed on a daily basis.

Q: If you are overtaking and are clocked at over the limit are you liable?? Varying opinions on this. If you're not driving dangerously then I think you should be let off because the quicker you drive to overtakle and get back in to your own side the safer - wheras if you are driving dangerously then you should get the points for that.

p.s. did an eejit every flash you back to thank you for flashing him?? Happened to me once, wasnt happy!!!!

There is one on the M1 sothbound just after the Ardee interchange, there is another on the M50 southbound around the Finglas interchange. There are a further two on the N3 (south). These are all the ones I have come across.

1. Well, there's one just before the first set of traffic lights after the UCD flyover on the heading into town side of the road.

2. One just opposite the Spa Hotel in Lucan again on the heading into town side of the road.

3. One at Con Colbert (sp?) Road, again heading into town.

4. There is one on the M1 sothbound just after the Ardee interchange,

5. there is another on the M50 southbound around the Finglas interchange.

6&7. There are a further two on the N3 (south). These are all the ones I have come across.

(My contribution)
8. One Northbound on the M50 as well (just before the Malahide end)

We need 12 more!

Betsy Og said:
I dont think we should protect boy racers though. While I might occasionally "flash" someone re a speed check, if they were all spoilers, arials, big exhausts and 'dragon' painting I wouldnt bother. Some drivers endanger other drivers, themselves and pedestrians - so a few penalty points might cop them on.

Much and all as I am a sceptic on many laws and rules etc., I am willing to support this one because, lets face it, people are getting killed on a daily basis.

Q: If you are overtaking and are clocked at over the limit are you liable?? Varying opinions on this. If you're not driving dangerously then I think you should be let off because the quicker you drive to overtakle and get back in to your own side the safer - wheras if you are driving dangerously then you should get the points for that.

p.s. did an eejit every flash you back to thank you for flashing him?? Happened to me once, wasnt happy!!!!

didn't someone once get done for flashing a car to warn about speed camera...turned out he had flashed an off duty detective or something who had him done for it

...so a few penalty points might cop them on????

Betsy Og said:
.... if they were all spoilers, arials, big exhausts and 'dragon' painting I wouldnt bother. Some drivers endanger other drivers, themselves and pedestrians - so a few penalty points might cop them on.

Why are you tarring these type of cars with the same brush?? Are we not allowed dress up our cars like we dress up our houses/selves. Just because someone spends their money on a spoiler doesn't make them a 'danger on the road'.

I'd rather see a young person spend money on car accessories and take pride in something rather then snort it up their nose or smoke themselves into oblivion.

It's like saying ALL merc drivers or ALL BMW drivers are asses.

MonsieurBond said:
Are you sure this is not the Dublin Corporation camera?

I didn't think there was a speed camera there, although the boys in blue are known to hide behind the UCD flyover (heading into town) catching people who exceed the (controversially low) speed limit which is easy to do as it is a good wide road and you are going downhill!

Pretty sure - at least was told so by taxi driver just after it was put up (about a year ago or so I think) and it looks the same as other speed cameras. Have to admit to never having seen it actually flash whereas the other two I mentioned I have definitely seen in action.

It's true to say that I'd rather young men spent money customizing their cars rather than on drugs or vast quantities of drink but customized car owners should notify their insurers about the (even basic) changes made and I doubt that many do which in essence means that a lot of customized cars are being driven uninsured, food for thought.

1 On old N1 southbound past Monasterboice Inn - Top of Tullyesker Hill. This one destroyed "accidentally" soon after placement.
2 On old N1 northbound - Before McGovern's garage - bottom of Tullyesker Hill.
3 On old N1 southbound before Dorian's Bar and turnoff for Drumcar.
4 On N2 southbound - About 1 mile south of the Ashbourne Drogheda junction - Gives you just enough time to build up speed after joining N2 from the Drogheda road - sneaky.
5 On the N3 northbound between Navan and Kells. After the Merc garage but before the Ford depot on the new straight bit of road.
6 On the old N1 southbound - on the dual carriageway just after the Statoil garage before the Ashbourne roundabout on the way into Swords.

BB

It's like saying ALL merc drivers or ALL BMW drivers are asses.

Erm, you're not doing your argument any favours with that comparison! :D

icantbelieve said:
It's true to say that I'd rather young men spent money customizing their cars rather than on drugs or vast quantities of drink but customized car owners should notify their insurers about the (even basic) changes made and I doubt that many do which in essence means that a lot of customized cars are being driven uninsured, food for thought.

So its an either/or situation, straight from the Dubya school or 'with us or against us'.

You do of course have a point and I have a prejudice, not totally irrational prejudice though. I think we badly need good stats - maybe insurance co's have them. I'd love to know if, statistically, you are more likely to be involved in a accident if you are 'all geared up'. That would give some empirical food for thought.

Re Merc's and Beemers, and indeed Range Rovers in city traffic, you wouldnt need to be Freud to cop that thats about austentacious displays of wealth and status - sure theres none of us perfect and isnt it grand if thats your failing!! What's totally saddo is fella's buying spray on 'mud' to put on their 4*4's to give the impression there were 'off roading mon' ... Ross O'Carroll Kelly stuff, you'd want a serious chat with yourself when you start doing that !!!!

... and thats no joke, read in paper about some fella importing it and its selliing like hotcakes, few bob there for anyone who could face that clientele!

Speed cameras are there to catch people who are breaking the law. Should we be listing them off for people like this?
Though I can't stand tarted up cars with spoilers that you could launch a small plane off it's not ok to say that all their owners are boy or girl racers (just like it's not ok to say that all black drivers have no insurance).

Purple said:
Speed cameras are there to catch people who are breaking the law. Should we be listing them off for people like this?
Though I can't stand tarted up cars with spoilers that you could launch a small plane off it's not ok to say that all their owners are boy or girl racers (just like it's not ok to say that all black drivers have no insurance).

Not according to the AA comments in yesterday's Motoring section - fixed speed cameras are SIGNPOSTED and are meant to be a visible deterrent to get people to slow down in dangerous areas. They are not meant to be a revenue collection mechanism for the guards or a means to catch people who break the law.

I think it is a good idea to list them.

In fact, GPS in-car navigation systems in UK and elsewhere are normally programmed with the location of fixed cameras - they are indicated as "safety cameras". Not sure if any Irish GPS receivers (or Irish map cards / CDs / DVDs for UK receivers) have this information programmed in, though.

[broken link removed]

If you go to this website and register you can download a comprehsive guide to the location of fixed speed traps and also mobile ones...

Back