Local Property Tax (LPT): How much would a professional valuation cost?

So what is the point of the register if sales are not being registered?

The property price register applies only for sales since the beginning of 2010

The point of the indicative valuation is that this is an amount that Revenue will definitely accept. If you declare a value in a lower band and pay less LPT then you leave yourself open to having your figure challenged, and having interest & penalties imposed.

That point should be a key post on this topic. Excellent way of putting it Mandelbrot. I think I'll copy it over to the rental key post thread if that's alright with you.

That point should be a key post on this topic. Excellent way of putting it Mandelbrot. I think I'll copy it over to the rental key post thread if that's alright with you.

Thanks Bronte, that's fine with me.

On a related note, I'll be very surprised if Revenue actually send people a specific valuation when they start writing out in March. I'd expect their letter will simply say they estimate the LPT due on the property is (say) €315 (full year) - i.e. they value the house in the €150k-€200k band.

Thanks for the link to Ronan Lyons guide. Ill add it to the list of of methods in our key post.

Getting back to the topic: How much would a professional valuation for LPT purposes cost?

Thanks for the link to Ronan Lyons guide. Ill add it to the list of of methods in our key post.

Getting back to the topic: How much would a professional valuation for LPT purposes cost?

I don't have a clue but whatever it is, I would classify as a stupidity/laziness surcharge on top of whatever tax is paid. As this thread shows, there's plenty of information available for people to value their own properties, without paying someone else to use the same information. An auctioneer's valuation will carry no more weight than your own if it is materially out of kilter with the general trend.

seems pointless to me paying the guts of a quarter of your liability to get someone to tell you what should be reasonably obvious, also will they be liable should Revenue come up with a challenge?

If I were a valuer I'd be adding a caveat to my valuation that would ensure I cannot be sued in case of Revenue contesting the value entered for the LPT.

If houses in an area aren't selling how will the valuer come up with a reliable value? If they are selling, the Property Price Register will tell you what they're selling for.

Back