Loaned money to a friend but can't get it back - any ideas

If one party is recording a call, do they not have to notify the other party? Is this not (partly) why all the banks etc. have a "your call may be recorded for training & quality purposes" message on their systems?

Surely you can get insider knowledge from your brother e.g. there may be a member of her family that she'd hate to find out about her reneged on loan.
Threaten to bring her to the small claims court as it only cost a fiver.

Recording calls is not illegal if you are in a situation where someone is lying or evading the law.

Thats a bit vague though, you are recording the call to prove the illegal activity,

therefore before you record the call - you have no proof.

That means that you cant record a call, as you have no proof of an illegal activity...........

If you did have proof you would not need to record the call!

Chicken and the egg situation.

Re: Loaned money to a friend but can't get it back - any idea's

Both previous suggestions are potential defamation of her character and actionable by her.

but it appears that the allegations are true. Hardly defamation then?

Is the onus not on her to prove otherwise?

I dont know about here but it seems a fairly common tactic on a consumer investigation show to call someone dodgy, record the conversation (without permission) and then put it on TV. And whats the relevant difference between a recording and a photograph published without permission in the media ?

Recording telephone conversations between two people without permission of either is illegal. Tampering with Eircom phone lines, or those owned by other phone companies is illegal.

However, there is no law against recording your own phone calls using your own equipment. Easy to do via number of methods. You can buy a small device that attaches to your phone handset and plugs into a tape recorder. Another way is to put the call on speaker and simply record it with a dictaphone.

Recording telephone conversations between two people without permission of either is illegal. Tampering with Eircom phone lines, or those owned by other phone companies is illegal.

However, there is no law against recording your own phone calls using your own equipment. Easy to do via number of methods. You can buy a small device that attaches to your phone handset and plugs into a tape recorder. Another way is to put the call on speaker and simply record it with a dictaphone.

Man this thread is like Deja Vu!!! I had a similar problem and have been using this and its been excellent at storing all the conversations.
http://www.worldlink.ie/record_a_call_how_to.html

....Mullingar

Mullingar - that's no good - it says at the bottom that you have to by law tell the other person you are recording them.

Csirl - do you mean that a) it's illegal for a third party to record another persons phone conversation without telling them and b) that you are allowed to record your own phone conversations if you make the call, if this is the case are you just to record yourself or both parties?

Last edited:
Mullingar - that's no good - it says at the bottom that you have to by law tell the other person you are recording them.

Csirl - do you mean that a) it's illegal for a third party to record another persons phone conversation without telling them and b) that you are allowed to record your own phone conversations if you make the call, if this is the case are you just to record yourself or both parties?

They legally have to include that disclaimer i'd imagine. I told the other person that I was going to record the conversation. Whether thats the same or not I dont know. I have recorded my conversations with this certain person and informed them only the once that I was going to record calls and they said they didnt give a sh1t. You only need permission once I think and now I have a series of files of my conversations with this person. It also helps remind me of what we spoke about as often you forget the small important things that your solicitor needs to know.

...Mullingar

She broke the contract the moment she said she wont repay you. Its anticipatory breach and you can sue her from the moment she says that.

Contracts do not have to be on paper or signed to be binding. It was a completely legit contract and you will be able to get it back from her all the elements of a binding contract where present from your post.

Get to a solicitor now you can sue her immediately.

j

Back