living with partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

suimhneach

hi all, myself and my partner are due our first baby in april, currently we dont live together but we are looking for a place together before baby arrives. I am currently employed full time and he is on Jobseekers allowance. He was told by a friend lately that if he moves in with me that his payment will be assessed based on my income and that he might not get any payment at all, is this true? surely as we are not a married couple and dont have joint bank accounts that he is still entitled to his own payments?

Household income is assessed in deciding whether your partner satisfies the means test. You will be living together as husband and wife, even though not married, and your income will be taken into account.

oh lord, how is that meant to work, am i meant to give him money every week till he gets a job or what, not saying that i have a huge income am on 33000 a year but i have bills too, rent around 500, heating, esb how am i meant to support him and our child.

Yes, as a couple, as a couple living together, your income is seen as being the household income for SW purposes.

OP, it's not that the Social Welfare require you to give your partner €x per week. The fact is you will be sharing a household and in some respects pooling your money for rent, utilities, food etc. Your income is assessed full stop. In effect you will then be supporting him and your child.

Is there any possibility of your partner securing a job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back