Living overseas - letting a property here

onekeano

One of my kids lives in the US and will be coming back in about 3 years if everything goes to plan. I was suggesting that they should look at buying a place and letting it until they return.

Just wondering what the tax liability would be on say a property let @ €1500 so €18k p.a. less I think 80% of the interest (c.€8k), less say €3k of other costs.

So I'm thinking that would be €18k - €9.4k @ what rate of tax (all taxes), would it be US tax or Irish tax?

Any advice much appreciated,

Roy

Overall, it's just not a good idea.

Plans change and they get stuck with the house.
They get a job somewhere different from where the house is.
If they are first time buyers, they are better off keeping that status.

If they want exposure to the Irish property market they can invest in the I-Res Reit, although it has not been good at tracking house prices.

Brendan

Hi Brendan, while I agree that plans do change I don't agree with the overall thrust of your post.

If they have say 50k and are interested in buying an apartment for say 225k (borrowing 175k over 15 years) and letting @ 1500 per month then after 4 years they will have increased their equity by 35k.

If we assume that rent increases by 4% p.a. and costs (mgt fee, insurance, maintenance) increase by 4% and the value of the property goes up by 4% p.a. The I estimate that on top of the rent it would cost and extra 5k p.a. on top of the rental income.

So, that would mean the total outlay over 4 years would be 70k, the mortgage would have dropped to 140k and the value of the property would be 263k. So the investment of 70k would return 123k (exclusive of CGT) which is 75% over 4 years.

I do understand that the property market can go up or down and that being landlord is not a walk in the park but this offers a way to leverage / get into the market. I'm not sure that with I Res they could a) leverage (like a mortgage) and b) get 75% over 4 years?

Roy

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-13_8-36-32.png
    upload_2017-4-13_8-36-32.png
    52.5 KB · Views: 6
Property prices and rent only ever go up! If a 75% return over four years was even close to a guarantee you would have an awful lot more people looking to get into the landlord game

Property prices and rent only ever go up! If a 75% return over four years was even close to a guarantee you would have an awful lot more people looking to get into the landlord game

I think you misread my posting blured, what I said was "I do understand that the property market can go up or down"

I think you misread my posting blured, what I said was "I do understand that the property market can go up or down"

I did read your post, but that comment appears to me to be just added as an after thought. The whole post and all of the figures quoted are based on very bullish assumptions. The question you ask is what I-Res Reit would return 75% over 4 years, meaning you assume that this will be the return if they buy a property.

As an aside, what if we reverse your assumptions, property prices and rent fall 4% per annum. Property would be worth €191k after the four years, assuming that costs fall with rent, we can continue to use your €5k in addition to rent as the cost per annum. So they have spent €70k, property is now worth €191k, mortgage is €140k, so they have essentially spent €20k

We do not speculate about house prices on askaboutmoney.

But the fact that you assume that house prices will go up by 4% a year and then add a caveat that you understand that the property market can go up or down, suggests to me that you think that the risk of a fall is minimal or theoretical.

If you work out your figures assuming a house price increase of 4%, then you should also work out your figures based on a sustained long term fall in house prices.

In any event, it seems that your son has a 3 year horizon before returning. He would be taking a lot of risk and incurring a lot of transaction costs and maybe losing his FTB status.

But people are determined to own and invest property and nothing will deter them.

Brendan

more efficient to let out a room or two in your house - you can earn 12k a year tax free on rent-a-room scheme & you have a lump sum for him when he returns! ;)

yes indeed Thirsty - but why would I give it to him? :p and I might need you to explain to Mrs Keano who those 2 strangers are in the kitchen............

seriously though the rent a room scheme is great but not for me at this stage.... not while my son is swanning around the Big Apple enjoying himself!

Does rent a room mean sharing the kitchen and living room?
Daft question probably?

Roy he would pay tax at the lower rate as he has no other income in Ireland. I have no idea if after that he would have an American tax liability. The mortgage interest deduction is going to be back to 100% according to the minister, they're bringing it back in on a phased basis. It's already 100% if you have social welfare tenants.

The borrowing costs are important, ie the interest rate. We have currently historically the lowest rates. But not sure if you can get good rates for investment properties, or if you need a higher interest rate. Also your son might have a problem even getting a loan. We have had posters on here who live abroad and couldn't get them.

One other word of caution, are you getting your son on the ladder or is he at all interested. What happens if he meets a significant other and never comes back.

I'd also like to see the full figures on tax/income etc. Good exercise to do this to see the reality.

You don't need planning to rent a room; having a separate bathroom/kitchen area is fine under the rent-a-room scheme as long as it's part of the main house.

It's not that you need planning to rent a room, but you do need planning to create a granny flat (explicitly excluded from exempt development) and the permission granted to most such development explicitly states that only direct family of the occupants of the main building may occupy the granny flat and that it is explicitly forbidden to rent them out.

The rental income will need to be declared on the son's U.S. Federal tax return, and possibly on the son's State (e.g. NY) tax return. Local, professional advice regarding the U.S. tax implications should be obtained before making a decision on this venture.

you do need planning to create a granny flat
ok, different story.

Initial question was that with rent-a-room if you had to share facilities and that's not the case.

ok, different story.

Initial question was that with rent-a-room if you had to share facilities and that's not the case.

Similar story, you said granny flats included under the rent-a-room scheme, I was just pointing out that in most cases you are not allowed to rent them out under any circumstances.

Not to be starting an argument, but I wonder if that's the case?

from Revenue's leaflet

"The room or rooms can comprise a self-contained unit within the residence such as a basement flat or a converted garage attached to the residence" (which is what I would term a 'granny flat').

and from Citizens information...
Generally you do not need planning for...
"Converting a garage attached to the rear or side of the house to domestic use provided it has a floor area of less than 40 square metres."

So it seems to me that as long as you are under the 40 sq m, you could design a garage conversion to have say a shower room/small kitchen and legitimately include that space under rent a room?

The borrowing costs are important, ie the interest rate. We have currently historically the lowest rates. But not sure if you can get good rates for investment properties, or if you need a higher interest rate. Also your son might have a problem even getting a loan. We have had posters on here who live abroad and couldn't get them.

One other word of caution, are you getting your son on the ladder or is he at all interested. What happens if he meets a significant other and never comes back.

Thanks for that Bronte. I did check about the funding and it is possible - might depend on the LTV but I guess if you're putting up a half or thereabouts they should be interested. Had a call with these folks www.newmoney.ie and they were interested - rates vary from 4.5% to 5.25%, this company also does interest only (which is not the goal but just FYI).

I take your point on a possible significant other coming out of the woodwork :rolleyes: but at least he'd have the option to cash in and convert his equity to US$ and he'd be on the ladder over there.

Back