Living in the UK, flat in Ireland

brownsarahj

So I left Dublin some 10 years ago and my apartment (which is in arrears but rented now) and moved to the UK to find work etc. I have an accountant here and he has always advised me that I pay all my taxation in the UK for all investments including the flat in Ireland.

He has had a good look at my income and expenses, and long periods of vacancy etc, and determined year on year that I didnt owe tax in Ireland. He wrote a letter to confirm this when my Irish bank asked for evidence.

However I met a fellow Irish person in the same boat (ie one property left behind when moving abroad during the recession) who said he pays his tax in both Ireland and the UK.

I wonder if anyone can advise. And if I was meant to be doing it in Ireland, how to proceed?

Irish rental income is taxable in Ireland regardless of where you're resident. Unless you're making a loss on the rent after deducting allowable expenses (note that capital repayments on your mortgage aren't allowable, only a percentage of the interest), you'll have an Irish tax liability. You'll get credit for the Irish tax paid when filing your UK tax return.

Back