Living in a house until the beneficiary reaches 21

ElizaDoALot

This is what my Mum wishes to state in her will.
Could someone let me know if it possible to have such a stipulation?

My Mum, who lives alone, wishes to leave her house to her grandson.
She does not wish him to inherit it until he is 21 and is therefore able to live there independently/ sell it /whatever he wishes to do with it (- really to avoid his mother having access to it).
However, until he reaches 21 (he is now 5yrs old), she wishes that I be able to use the house as a holiday home whenever I please (it is in a beautiful location) - maintain it, pay bills, and generally be responsible for it, then would vacate it when the grandson reaches 21.

Is this something that a Solicitor would be able to draft for my Mum?
Is it legal and executable?

No problem.

Appoint you as a trustee of the estate and specify that grandson is to inherit when he is 21. Until then, trustee to have use of etc.,etc.

mf

Yes, it's straightforward. Your mum leaves the property to trustees to hold for the benefit of the grandson until he's 21 and then to him absolutely, subject to your right to reside in the dwellinghouse on the terms you set out.

Thanks for your speedy replies!
That's reassuring.

One other problem..I've discussed it with my Mum -BUT she wants it verified by a solicitor that it is possible BEFORE she evens makes an appointment with one!
Is it possible to get 5 minutes free legal advice somewhere - where I could get this confirmed by a solicitor - and finally set her mind at rest and get this sorted?

Any help much appreciated.

Some solicitors offer a first consultation free of charge (verification of mf1 and j26's opinions above). At the subsequent (paid) consultations draft, agree, sign and witness will.

I would suggest that you get a personal recommendation for a solicitor.
Call into the office to enquire about making a will and the costs etc.
Ask to speak to the solicitor and explain that in order to make an appointment, your
mother wants reassurance on this point.
Or, bend the truth a little and tell your mother that you did get legal advice, as you just did on AAM.

"One other problem..I've discussed it with my Mum -BUT she wants it verified by a solicitor that it is possible BEFORE she evens makes an appointment with one!
Is it possible to get 5 minutes free legal advice somewhere - where I could get this confirmed by a solicitor - and finally set her mind at rest and get this sorted?"

At this stage, I would stop indulging her. She either wants to make this will or she does'nt.

Otherwise, where does it end?

mf

If she is a credit union member, many CU's have a deal with a local solicitor to provide a free basic will to members.

Back