Living and working in NI for ROI Employer

R

RedHand0358

Can anyone help. Current scenario is I am employed by company in ROI and have been for past 12 years. Since 2001 I have been living in North and working remotely from their Belfast office for them but still paid in Euro and paying PAYE and PRSI etc as if I was living in South.

My company are now suggesting that I must now be paid in Sterling to ensure I am compliant which I am questioning? Any ideas?

There is no necessity to pay you in Sterling, however, as you are living in the UK they should be operating UK PAYE on your income. This will mean that pay and tax calculations need to be done in Sterling, so perhaps this is what they mean.

In theory, they can convert your Euro salary every month do do the calculations, but this will mean that they will have complicated calculations to do (which they probably want to avoid), and your net pay, when converted back to Euro will fluctuate every month based on the exchange rate (which you probably do not want). So in that sense it may be easier and better for you to be paid in Sterling.

As they are an ROI company employing you, they could apply for an exclusion order so as not to operate ROI PAYE. They should also consider whether you need to pay ROI PRSI or UK National insurance contributions.

Speak to them in more detail, and ascertain exactly what they need to do, and perhaps look at taking your own professional advice.

Back