Living abroad - can I claim a share of my husband's Irish assets?

Why should it cost the Irish taxpayer for the upkeep of their children and failed marriage.
It's part of our social welfare system for the welfare of children whose parents qualify for the payment.
Marriage status is irrelevant to Child Benefit.

The qualification criteria are outlined here.

Last edited:
It's part of our social welfare system for the welfare of children whose parents qualify for the payment.
Marriage status is irrelevant to Child Benefit.

The qualification criteria are outlined here.

They're not Irish born children and didn't live here as far as I know.

Charming.

Our SW system is designed to support families without regard to the marital status of their parents.
From the posts so far, it doesn't appear that they have any link with Ireland beside the father absconding here. Surely it would be the UK who would be paying any benefits, seeing as the father and the children are British? Ireland's involvement in this is minimal.

From the posts so far, it doesn't appear that they have any link with Ireland beside the father absconding here. Surely it would be the UK who would be paying any benefits, seeing as the father and the children are British? Ireland's involvement in this is minimal.
I'm not sure what you believe the OP's former husband has 'absconded' from in the UK; there is free movement still between the UK and Ireland. So I would take it that he as the right to live here.

If the other parent is resident in Ireland (and the OP can check this out), Child benefit can be paid to the OP.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you believe the OP's former husband has 'absconded' from in the UK; there is free movement still between the UK and Ireland. So I would take it that he as the right to live here.

If the other parent is resident in Ireland (and the OP can check this out), Child benefit can be paid to the OP.
Then when they catch up with him, will he emigrate again to another country and they can claim more benefits? It happens you know, and not always for the benefit of the children. No, i'm not a racist or anti family, but sick and tired of Irish taxpayers paying benefits to people who see the system as a soft touch.

Then when they catch up with him, will he emigrate again to another country and they can claim more benefits? It happens you know, and not always for the benefit of the children. No, i'm not a racist or anti family, but sick and tired of Irish taxpayers paying benefits to people who see the system as a soft touch.
We are not in a position, based on the provided information, to make a judgement of that nature. SW systems and / or the abuse of them is not the issue here.

I meant from his family, not the law.

thanks again to everyone. I will check it out. I believe he already has paid some taxes in Ireland when he bought the property in Dublin and he brought 300k euros of his cash to the country for that. He also pays VAT each time he buys some goods in Ireland from his cash earned in the UK.
I also need to pay to Irish solicitors and court to apply for child maintenance. I guess it is OK for us to claim a bit of money? if we are eligible

I believe he already has paid some taxes in Ireland when he bought the property in Dublin and he brought 300k euros of his cash to the country for that. He also pays VAT each time he buys some goods in Ireland from his cash earned in the UK.
Given what you say in your first post about him keeping you out of his finances I'm curious about how you know all this?
I guess it is OK for us to claim a bit of money? if we are eligible
If you're entitled to it (e.g. Child Benefit) then go for it. As mentioned by somebody else earlier, if you're not entitled here then you may be entitled in the UK or another EU country if applicable.

He bought apartment when we were together yet so I know the address of the property and when we were together he was not keeping amounts of his income and assets in secret, but I never had access to it.

Why should it cost the Irish taxpayer for the upkeep of their children and failed marriage.

Anyone living and working in Ireland is entitled to claim child benefit for their children, even if they live in a different EU country. You might not like it, but that's your issue to deal with.

OP your husband is legally obliged to provide for his children, if you google Dolphin House you'll find the family court services who can help you fill out forms for applying for child maintenance from him. To be honest, it sounds like he's financially abusing you, so you would alos be entitled to contact a women's aid service who can offer advice and will have the names of solicitors who will be well used to dealing with cases like yours. Good luck.

Anyone living and working in Ireland is entitled to claim child benefit for their children, even if they live in a different EU country. You might not like it, but that's your issue to deal with.
Just to clarify - they do not have to be working.

To qualify for Child Benefit, you must be living in Ireland and satisfy the Habitual Residence Condition (HRC).

Thank you for the tips guys. I am going to check about Dolphin House now. The only thing that me and kids we are in Ukraine, which is not part of EU. I found out that I can apply for a small Child Benefit for my youngest as they stop paying that after child is 3 y.o. The amount is 30 euros a month only but better then nothing I gues...But good news are that I've got an offer to give English classes for small kids in the nursery my child goes to, so fingers crossed I will have a part time job soon and start earning a bit of money

Some solicitors in Ukraine have links with solicitors in Ireland and UK. Perhaps google??

Back