Lived / Worked in Southern Ireland for 14 months - PRSI Refund possible?

C

cristoir

Hi folks,

I was wondering if you could all help me with something I've been wondering about.

I'm from the North, but moved down to Dublin in June 2004 and worked there until August 2005, after which I moved back to the North.

Am I entitled to any refund of my PRSI (owing to my relatively short stay as a worker in the state)? I'm aware of all the PAYE tax refunds available, so that's not a problem. Here are some details from my P45 (detailing Jan 1st 2005 to Aug 19th 2005) to clarify...

Monthly Tax Credit - €237.50
Monthly Standard Rate Cut-Off Point - €2450.00

Total Pay - €12,289.08
Total Tax Deducted - €557.81

Total PRSI €1573.56
Employee's Share €315.23
Total number of weeks of Insurable Employment - 34

Am I entitled to claim back any of that PRSI contribution? I know I can claim back the tax (am I correct in thinking I can claim back all of it?)

Thanks very much for any advice you can give, this is something that has been confusing me for quite a while! Cheers!

I thought that PRSI was equivilant to National Insurance contributions in the UK/NI. If that is true then PRSI wouldn't be refundable at all unless you had been over paying (wrong classification for example). Check out the government website for more clarification.

Someone told me once that if you lived in the south for less than two years, there was some sort of refund for something or other (possibly PRSI).

It's possible that they were just pulling my leg, or mistaken or whatever, but I thought it would be wise to check it out. Were they in anyway correct?

Back