Motor Little insurance confusion.

CiniO

Me and my wife have 2 cars.
We drive both of them about equally. Some days I take the silver one to work, other days I take blue one. The same with my wife. If we go shopping sometimes we take one, sometimes the other. I'd say on average we both use them at the same rate.

One is registered on my name, other one in my wife's name.
While insuring, there's a question about main user? Who should we specify, as we both drive them the same?

Other question.
I have a policy on one car and my wife as a named driver.
She has a policy on the other car, and I'm a named driver there.
We also both have a "third party extension" for driving other cars. (the ones that we don't own).

What in case of a crash now?
If I crash in my car with my policy it's clear.
But what if my wife will crash in my car?
I heard somewhere, that half of damage will be covered by my policy (as she is the named driver), and the other half will be covered from her policy, as she was driving the other car that she doesn't own.
In short words both policies cover the same third party cover in that case.
Is that true that it works like that?
In case it happens, will we both lose our NCB, as both policies will have to pay the part of the claim?

What in case of a crash now?
If I crash in my car with my policy it's clear.
But what if my wife will crash in my car?
I heard somewhere, that half of damage will be covered by my policy (as she is the named driver), and the other half will be covered from her policy, as she was driving the other car that she doesn't own.
In short words both policies cover the same third party cover in that case.
Is that true that it works like that?
In case it happens, will we both lose our NCB, as both policies will have to pay the part of the claim?

This has become more common in the last couple of years. It has happened a few times.

Basically the person driving was named on the policy but was also covered under their own policy. Their own policy covered the cost of the third party damage and the own damage was paid under the crashed cars policy. Both bonuses were affected.

Best thing to do is go with a company which allows you to drive other cars, excluding your spouses car. That way if it happens, your own policy will not cover you on your spouses car and it will only be her bonus which is affected.

Back