List: Stealth price increases at Tesco in recent days?

And what's the deal with a vacuum pack of Kenco 150g being dearer per kg than the jar? I thought the whole point was that it was cheaper to pack & ship & therefore should cost less. While I would like to buy it for environmental reasons, I refuse to pay more!

Also watch out for the larger packs actually being dearer than two small ones, eg Flora 1kg v 2x500g.

That can happen quite often particularly in food products.

One of the reasons for it is the smaller pack may be a hugely popular size and as such is sold into supermarkets by the pallet. It is also made in larger quantities, so the machinery needs no changing to specs for a longer time.

All of these quantity cost benefits mean a lower price for that unit and as these cost benefits don't apply to the larger size, the larger size can work out more expensive per kg than the smaller one.

Biggest culprit of the larger/pre packs costing more in my experience are the twin packs of Coca Cola products. Usually at least 20c more expensive than 2 single bottles, often a lot more than that.

There was a recent article on US TV about package sizes shrinking but prices remaining the same.

link

I remember the story about the toothpaste manufacturer increasing the diameter of the tube opening, everyone typically puts the same length of squirt of paste on their brush, so you ended up using more......

I notice also that the tube of Pringles is the same size but the size of the Pringles inside have shrunk. And as for the Cadburys Cream Egg, can it get any smaller, they have now resorted to selling them in packs of three as a result.

Tesco Cornflakes, 750g used to be €1.40, now gone up to €2.48 and the 500g now €1.39.

In Dunnes Stores last week, Kelloggs Cornflakes €2 for 750g box. Had one full trolley of cornflakes.

So cheaper to eat Kelloggs than Tesco brand......plus nicer too......

I have noticed in recent days that there has been a significant increase in Tesco's prices. Some products that I regularly purchase have increased in price by as much as 30%. I see that they have also stopped offering the 3 items of fruit for €3. This was always useful for keeping the fruit bowl stocked up. Maybe their competition has also stopped these offerings as well.
I am guessing that they are about to launch a big marketing campaign of 1000,000 price cuts that will bring these price back down to what they used to be?

What they fail to mention that along with the 1,000,000 price cuts, there are usually 1,000,000 other price rises!

I have noticed in recent days that there has been a significant increase in Tesco's prices. Some products that I regularly purchase have increased in price by as much as 30%. I see that they have also stopped offering the 3 items of fruit for €3. This was always useful for keeping the fruit bowl stocked up. Maybe their competition has also stopped these offerings as well.
I am guessing that they are about to launch a big marketing campaign of 1000,000 price cuts that will bring these price back down to what they used to be?

Can you list some of the products with the price increases?

Back