List of recommendations of Commission on Tax and Social Welfare

Not sure how best to discuss these on Askaboutmoney.

Maybe if people took a recommendation or group of related recommendations , quote them in the first post, of a new thread, and then discuss them?

Brendan

I think it is important to understand the limitations of this report.

As with numerous other reports, in Annex 1 - pages 479 through 486, the Commission laments the lack of data and analytical tools. For instance:

“The Commission’s role, as defined in its terms of reference, has been to conduct a high level and strategic assessment of the taxation and welfare systems over the medium and long-term. Accordingly, many of the Commission’s recommendations are principles-based, or intended to indicate the appropriate direction for policy to evolve over time, rather than being set in very precise terms. The Commission has been clear that its recommendations should be phased in over time, and with appropriate consideration of the impacts and interactions of particular measures as they are introduced. As a consequence of this approach it is not possible to conduct an overall impact assessment of the Commission’s report. Nor do sufficient tools exist to conduct such an assessment – as set out in the main body of the report there are areas of the tax and welfare system where tools for costing policy changes in advance and assessing their distributional impact are limited or non-existent. It would also be difficult to ‘add-up’ all the various impacts into a single appraisal since there would be no way to understand the different interaction effects and behavioural responses that may influence those policy changes as they are implemented over time. The imperative to develop datasets and tools that facilitate a quantitative rather than a qualitative approach to assessing the impact of policy on various cohorts is set out in Part 4. It is important, however, to set out how the Commission has considered the likely impact of its recommendations in specific areas including on poverty, gender and equality. It is also important to point to areas where further research and analysis are needed, and where policymakers would benefit from the development of tools to better understand the likely impact of policy changes before they are made.”

Since the Commission has no real idea of the impact of the totality of its recommendations, it might, therefore, be an idea for different posters to assess the impact of the recommendations – were they to be implemented - on themselves and their families, businesses, etc.

Had a read through the summary. I'll be looking at some of it in more detail.

What struck me, is that there is no way a politician that wants to keep his job would implement a lot of these changes. SF would have the best chance of implementing some of them but even they wouldn't be able to do some of the things recommended. VAT on children's shoes was screaming out at me. PRSI on pension income for the retired. Income tax on deposit interest.

Back