List of Overused Names for Babies.

Re: Overused Names

I'm all for giving a child a name that stands out a little but I think these names are ridiculous - except maybe Daisy, which I think is actually Daisy Boo if I remember my celeb trivia correctly.
I think name choice says an awful lot about a person - I read the Freakonomics book too and in terms of education and success as an adult it is considered better to give a more conventional name normally.
Seriously - Dr Daisy Boo?? I think if someone is happy to shout "Daisy Boo, come back here" in the supermarket is says a lot about their personal need for attention from others.

I kind of agree with what your saying, but I suppose the argument could be made that we are all a little insecure in that we are wary of choosing a name that appeals to us in case it is perceived as being a bit chavvy, or needy.
Even from posters saying they like names like Jack, but when they become commonly used they won't use them suggests that we all like to be a bit different but few have the courage to go all out.

I agree too. In England William is shortened to Will, Bill, Billy or Willy not Liam which is the Irish version of William.

I kind of agree with what your saying, but I suppose the argument could be made that we are all a little insecure in that we are wary of choosing a name that appeals to us in case it is perceived as being a bit chavvy, or needy.
Even from posters saying they like names like Jack, but when they become commonly used they won't use them suggests that we all like to be a bit different but few have the courage to go all out.

I know what you mean. I love the names Eloise and Imogen but would not call children here that for fear of looking pretentious and trying to be a bit West Brit.

Oh no...Caveat's gone P.C. on us !!
No more references to culchies, boggers, townies or Jackeens then, I hope :)

No apology necessary Liaconn. You certainly haven't offended me anyway.

But I would consider the term Brit to be along the lines of Paki though and I'm fairly certain it would be offensive to many.

No more references to culchies, boggers, townies or Jackeens then, I hope

Well I reserve the right to refer to myself as a culchie (in a post-modern kind of way you understand) but I'm pretty sure I've never used the other terms so :p !

Well, I would never use the term 'Brit'. But I've never really heard people say 'West British', it always seems to be shortened to 'West Brit'. In the same way that people would never say 'you're a typical Dubliner' they would always use the term 'Dub'.

Well, I would never use the term 'Brit'. But I've never really heard people say 'West British', it always seems to be shortened to 'West Brit'. In the same way that people would never say 'you're a typical Dubliner' they would always use the term 'Dub'.

But the differnce is that 'West British' isn't even a term - at least not that I'm aware of.

West Brit was created to be deliberately offensive. Nobody would call themselves a West Brit unless they were being deliberately self deprecating or joking in some way. 'Dub' is different - sure Dubliners even call themselves Dubs.

I'd agree, in the same way as Sean is the Irish equivalent for John
I think you'll find that Eoin is the Irish equivalent of John. Seán is an Irish name. I have 2 boys and 3 girls, one appearing on each list. Wife wouldn't let me call the first lad Ace :).

But the differnce is that 'West British' isn't even a term - at least not that I'm aware of.

West Brit was created to be deliberately offensive. Nobody would call themselves a West Brit unless they were being deliberately self deprecating or joking in some way. 'Dub' is different - sure Dubliners even call themselves Dubs.

Maybe we can laugh at ourselves better than upper class people living in Ireland but with distinctly British characteristics.

A friend has 4 little girls & 2 dogs. The names are poppy, Lily, Lola, Molly, Daisy & Rosie. I can't remember which are the girls names & which the dogs. I don't know what would be worse calling one of the kids by a dogs name or calling one of dogs by a girls name.

During my many years living in London, I worked with a very middle-class english chap called John whose brother was called Sean .. I remember telling him about the irish connection between the names and he was not impressed!!

A friend has 4 little girls & 2 dogs. The names are poppy, Lily, Lola, Molly, Daisy & Rosie. I can't remember which are the girls names & which the dogs. I don't know what would be worse calling one of the kids by a dogs name or calling one of dogs by a girls name

hope your friend isn't on AAM :p

I have 2 kids, one on each list. Ironically I picked both names years ago, one an Irish name that I had only heard of once 25 years ago,imagine my shock when I returned here from the UK and every second child had the same name!! Another was a name I liked from my teenage years and was not popular when I chose it 10 years ago but has become increasingly so! Funny things names!!

Could an argument be made about using a term like 'chavvy'?

The [broken link removed] publish the most popular baby names in the summer for the year preceding.

This is the top 25 for 2008.

Top 25 Girls' Names
Ava
Katie
Sarah
Emma
Emily
Sophie
Grace
Aoife
Chloe
Kate