List of Overused Names for Babies.

Re: Overused Names

We almost called our son Jack...thankfully we went for a not uncommon but far from overused Irish name instead.

I feel sorry for boys born in 1979 who ended up being called John-Paul! ( apologies to anyone on this board who may be called John-Paul;))

Yes, you could never lie about your age really, could you?

I feel sorry for boys born in 1979 who ended up being called John-Paul! ( apologies to anyone on this board who may be called John-Paul;))

There was a spate of Olivers and Olivias as well around 1975 re the bloke what lost 'is loaf in Drog-eda. Was he beatified that year?, some such honour anyway.

Anyone remember Bertie being interviewed following the birth of his daughter's twins when he said "...both Jay and Rocco are doing well"...nearly fell off the couch!

Has anyone noticed that when names go out of fashion they seem to temporarily inhabit the world of pets?

I'm thinking Max, Ralph, Oscar, Judy, Suzie etc

It looks to me that Bertie's grandkids are already hovering in the limbo between the human and animal kingdom.

God knows what we'll be calling our dogs in 10 years time.

Anyone remember Bertie being interviewed following the birth of his daughter's twins when he said "...both Jay and Rocco are doing well"...nearly fell off the couch!

Jay, isn't that a birds name ? :)

I also think it would be refreshing if a celeb had a baby and called it Susan or Matthew or something ordinary like that instead of reaching for more and more outlandish names in their eternal search to be 'quirky' and 'different'.

Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze Jr named their daughter Charlotte Grace, which I think is a beautiful - and ordinary (but not in a bad way) - name. On the other hand, Gellar's co-star on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Alyson Hannigan, named her daughter Satyana Marie ...

Jamie Oliver's wife is expecting their 4th child. Their 3 daughters are called Poppy, Daisy and Petal so I wonder what they'd call a son - Dandelion?? Sounds like a manly kind of flower.

Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze Jr named their daughter Charlotte Grace, which I think is a beautiful - and ordinary (but not in a bad way) - name. On the other hand, Gellar's co-star on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Alyson Hannigan, named her daughter Satyana Marie ...

If the celebs pave the way then we are probably going to be moving away from the Brad, Jack, Bens to double-barrelled names :eek:

but I really hate it when parents take a name that already exists and decide to spell it 'their way'.

The Freakanomics series of books looked into this - looking at how a persons name can influence their future success. They concluded that parents who do this are conferring a major disadvantage on their kids - essentially is labels the kids as being from trailor trash stock.

I've no children but when/if (fngers crossed!) i do i'll be going for Irish names, i like Liam, Sean and Aisling. I like some more exotic names like Sophia and Mia but i'd be afraid they might sound too exotic/ like something from an Australian soap.

Is Liam not an abreviation of William........ hardly Irish !!

Secman

Jamie Oliver's wife is expecting their 4th child. Their 3 daughters are called Poppy, Daisy and Petal so I wonder what they'd call a son - Dandelion?? Sounds like a manly kind of flower.

I'm all for giving a child a name that stands out a little but I think these names are ridiculous - except maybe Daisy, which I think is actually Daisy Boo if I remember my celeb trivia correctly.
I think name choice says an awful lot about a person - I read the Freakonomics book too and in terms of education and success as an adult it is considered better to give a more conventional name normally.
Seriously - Dr Daisy Boo?? I think if someone is happy to shout "Daisy Boo, come back here" in the supermarket is says a lot about their personal need for attention from others.

If we do have a girl (in the future like.. no work in progress as yet!) I'd like something like:

Eimear, Aoibheann, Aisling, Sinead, I like names that dont require translation to go as gaeilge.

Her brothers have Irish names (and whether they have an english translation or not doesnt invalidate their Irishness IMHO - ref "Liam" objector below!) & an v Irish surname.

Surname not as gaeilge but wouldnt be an eyebrow raiser if it did. Names fully as gaelige (assuming you're not from the gaeltacht) still give me the impression of gaeilge fascist, far right extremist, religious loon etc etc. Maybe the gael scoil generations will change that but I havent encountered them yet.

i was born a couple of weeks after his visit, luckily my mam and dad seen sense and used something different. but it was interesting that when they were in the maternity ward all the mammies were picking that name.

burger is a much better name, always brings out the foodie in me!!!!!!

Reminds me of the Social Worker visiting the 'lone parent' mother of six girls. She had called them all Sharrrron!
"Is that not a bit confusing?" said the Social Worker
"Oh no!" said Mammy, "It's very handy, like, at dinner time I just open the front door and shout - Sharrrron! Your dinners ready! and they all come running - or at bed time I just shout - Sharrrron! Go to bed! - and they all go!"
"But what if you need to speak to one of them individually?" says the Social Worker
"Oh well then I use their fathers surnames!...

Back