List of new waste charges

Sue Ellen

Moderator.
upload_2016-6-17_14-12-24.png

Source Evening Herald

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be helpful if people posted any useful links here to verify the above information. This is what I got from the City Bin Company for Sandymount.

upload_2016-6-17_14-17-13.png

Not sure how that ties in what is on their website

upload_2016-6-17_14-21-14.png

My dad is with Panda in co meath. He said he does not pay a service charge. He just signed up with them. He pays them per lift + the weight. They gave him a card he can use to top up. If he tops up by less than 20 euro - they charge him an admin fee, otherwise they dont charge the admin fee. The recycle bin is free.

I Received a choice from City Bins:
Service Charge €2.49 Grey Bin 35c Brown Bin 25c
or
Service Charge €2.25 Grey Bin 39c Brown Bin 32c

If the Herald's figures are correct then my yearly bill will go from €312 to €427 (a 37% increase).

Seems Dublin is getting off light in terms of service charges,

we here in Navan with AES Irl will pay the following:

€90 per 6 months or €180 for a full year.
€0.25 / kg for General Waste
€0.15 / kg for compost waste

Greyhound don't tell you in e-mail that if you are willing to pay up front for a year it work's out at €140 -saving €29 on service charge.

Also as mentioned in e-mail if you sign up to automatic top up (ATU) you will get 3% bonus on all payments until July 2017.

For some reason Greyhound are refusing to publish it's prices on it's website which makes no sense at all.

[broken link removed]

This is the information from AES for Meath they have 2 options for pay by weight Standard or Basic

Standard

• Pay By Weight Standard is designed for larger households, such as families or houses with 4 or more people, as it has lower per kilo prices for those producing more kilos of waste.
6 Month Service Fee €90

Black/Green Bin - General Waste 0.25 per KG,
Blue Bin - Recyclable 0.00
Glass Bin - 0.00
Brown Bin - Organic 0.15

Or

Basic
  • Pay By Weight Basic is designed for smaller households, such as individuals, couples, or 2 or fewer people, as it has a lower service charge with higher per kilo prices for those producing less kilos of waste. K

Black/Green Bin - General Waste 0.33 per KG,
Blue Bin - Recyclable 0.00
Glass Bin - 0.00
Brown Bin - Organic 0.19

Currently we pay AES a flat rate of €159 every 6 months so I checked their online account to see how much our waste weighed in 2015 and 2016. Although we didn't have a brown bin I thought we were pretty good at recycling and was a bit shocked to discover our black bin was over 60% of our waste. Our black bin worked out at an average of just under 12KG per week. Under the new options this would work out at €168 for the standard or €162.96 for the basic, which isn't a lot different to what we currently pay them and when I take into account that we now have the brown bin so a lot of what previously went into the black bin will be going into the brown bin it should work out even cheaper so for us at least it seems AES have been quite fair.

It would be helpful if people posted any useful links here to verify the above information. This is what I got from the City Bin Company for Sandymount.
In my case (City bin) I paid a flat rate of 170 a year for 'all you can eat' waste with a restriction which I never passed. That's €3.27 a week. They are now offering me €2.99 a week and 30 cent a kilo for black and 20 cent for brown. In order to stay the same I would need to cut my waste to one kilo a week. I have asked them to explain to me how they can justify stating that 33% would be better off and 33% would not have any change. I hold my breath .....

Greenstar (Wicklow)

Standing charge: €13 per month
General Waste: 25c
Compost: 15c
Recycling (inc glass): 0c

When Joan Collins spoke in the Dail recently about these changes she also mentioned other hidden charges. One that she mentioned was a €40 fee that one of the companies applied if people wanted to move company.

Are there other fees that people need to be aware of?

In Kerry we have had Pay by weight for over 5 years. The pbw system works very well for those consumers that make the effort to reduce and recycle. However the "Dublin" debate has led the local providers astray and they have jacked up their standing charges and some of their by weight charges over the last 12 months. Such jacking up of standing charges is really against the spirit of the legislation. I think standing charges should be capped at about €75 - €100 a year and companies should then compete on their per kilo charges.

Higgins Waste. http://www.higginswaste.com/webclient/news/pay-by-weight-average-cost

€144 12X€12 Annual Standing Charge. * must keep a minimum €30 balance on account at all times other wise no collection.
Waste per Kilo 21c
Recycle per Kilo 11c
Food Waste 16c kilo

KWD
€97.98 Annual Standing Charge
Waste per Kilo 25c
Recycle per kilo 0c
Food Waste 15c Kilo. (* was 0c/kilo until recently but jacked up following "Dublin" controversy)
Provide a 6 weekly glass collection free of charge.

Killarney Municipal District.(Yes , some local authorities still collect waste and keep manners on the private sector!)
€50 Annual Standing Charge
Waste per kilo 20c
Recycle per kilo 13c
Food Waste per kilo 20c
Killarney Urban Area Only.

In fairness to the Kerry providers they are progressive local organisations and have invested in pbw technology and provide a good innovative service.

BiNomial

Last edited:
https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...ely-heres-what-you-need-to-know-35897164.html

indo 5th July 2017
"A deal struck last night will see the establishment of a new watchdog that will be tasked with ensuring consumers don't fall victim to so-called 'price gouging' by waste collectors.

The body, known as the 'Pricing Watchdog Monitoring Unit', will be given specific powers to tackle emerging cartels in the industry, as well as bringing criminal convictions against firms suspected of price-fixing or collusion."

Was this body ever set up? There is evidence of some very high service charges in certain parts of the country.

Last edited:
I got a demand bill from the waste collectors that I’ve been using for the last 3 years.
€165 for six months (up from €159 in 2015). No mention or any additional charges. Just pay in advance for Feb-Jul inclusive.

Service Charge: €139
Refuse Charge: €26

My waste company just same sent me a flat-rate invoice for 2018 (same as the last 4 years) which suits me; I like the simplicity.

Last edited:
My waste company just same me a flat-rate invoice for 2018 (same as the last 4 years) which suits me; I like the simplicity.
I'm on a flat rate too but yet the ads on the radio keep saying flat rate charging is gone

Anyone know has the 'Pricing Watchdog Monitoring Unit' been established? (tasked with ensuring consumers don't fall victim to so-called 'price gouging' by waste collectors.)

My provider (pay by weight for over seven years) has jacked up the standing charge again and at €204 per year must be one of the highest in the country. Refuse is 25c/kilo, compost is 15c/kilo, dry recycle and glass is 0c/kilo.

It has got to the stage that standing charge is now greater than many "flat rates" offered around the country up to a few years ago.

BiN

The abolition of flat fees applied to new contracts, existing contracts are allowed to continue.

The goal of that monitoring unit was to ensure that consumers would not face price hikes with the introduction of pay-by-weight. With the abandonment of the mandatory pay-by-weight legislation, I presume the monitoring unit didn't happen either.

Back