List of cheap furniture haunts

Gabriel

Skinflint that I am I just can't abide spending outrageous amounts of money on furniture...

Most of my present furniture was bought in Argos who do some nice natural pine stuff (besides the fake wood stuff)...

I'm looking for some new functional pieces of furniture and can think of the following places:

Argos
BargainTown (pretty dreadful stuff though)
Ikea (yeah I know...)
B&Q
Dunnes

Anyone add to the list for me?
I mean for a chest of drawers I can get something half way decent in Argos for under €100. But I'd like to do better than that if possible :)

Why not check out auctions? They sell some beautiful stuff very reasonably esp during the summer when for some reason they appear to be quite. I live in Kilkenny but pop to Carlow every time there's an auchion there. Don't be put off by the idea that its all antiques - often its just a few house clearances so a good mixture. Bought a lovely dining table Monday in perfect condition - €32 including the commission fee and VAT. Make sure to go to the viewings before hand and check carefully for woodworm, other damage etc. Pick out what you want, set a price limit and enjoy. Can be an amusing evening.

We have some small coffee tables made of heavy solid wood - they are very robust and look great. I just saw them in aldi last week - ~30Euro for the smaller ones and 70Euro for the larger ones.

My guess is that they would be already gone now... although you could try it.

Thanks darraghdog...already picked up the nest of tables from Aldi...

That's not a bad idea re the auctions Thrifty...anyone know of any in Dublin?

I don't like the buy and sell. It's great if you want a computer say and know the spec etc...but a piece of furniture is really something you need to see before purchasing.

Ebay is not a bad idea...thanks.

There's one in Rathmines, think it's called Hermann White, it's just near the library.

There used to be one in Glasthule which I went to years ago as a kid but I can't remember where exactly or know if it's still there.

Lotts, Tralee (Listowel Rd)

Brodericks: Kilrush, Killanena (near Gort, just over the Clare border), and Listowel - the small business park just on the Tralee side of the Kerry Co-OP Plant

IKEA !!! (one expects)

Can save money through buying flatpack if you can take the pain of assembly.

Super Valu offers - cracking rocking chairs anyway - offers may have expired a year or so ago though!

Land of Leather seems good value - why not pop over to Newry and buy in sterling - looks cheaper than the euro price down south

Id second Janets hint for hermans, the one in rathmines. Its beside the college on the left as your heading into town. think they have weekly auctions but it can be awkward as theyre during the day. Always something to be had in there.

Just searched goldepages for auctions and got the following link in dublin
[broken link removed]

If youre looking for something better then argos then try sothebys fine art on molesworth street, else head up to oreillys on francis street. :)

Hi,

Not sure of where get information on auctions in Dublin. Sure there must be websites. The auction i go to is usually in the property section of the local paper.

Back