Lismore Terrace, Dublin

SGWidow

I figured if I ever was going to get my head around Ulysses, Covid was my chance!

I'm trying to collate all sorts of weird and wonderful facts.

Can anyone help me - I'm trying to establish where Lismore Terrace was. Presumably, this terrace is now known as something else but how do I find out what that something else is definitively?

Thanks PMU,

Well spotted. Any idea what the current address is? (if you google map Lismore Terrace now, nothing shows?)

A little Google shows this

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=241597.0

Botanic avenue itself may have had a group of houses called Lismore Terrace.

Vera Terrace is still there. A terrace of about 8 houses. But only 2 are named Vera Terrace. So you have 1 Vera Terrace, 2 Vera Terrace, then 75, 73, 71, 69, 67, 65 botanic avenue. But all are in one terrace block.

In Newbridge we have McElwain terrace - a group of 6 houses on Charlotte Street built late 1800's

Last edited:
Thanks peemac,

That's what I figure also....that the houses that once were known as Lismore Terrace, if they still exist, have been subsumed into Botanic Avenue.

When I googled " lismore terrace in ulysses" the first result is from Joyceborough on Facebook
Their of the opinion that 4 Lindsay Road, Glasnevin is where Miss Mina Kennedy lived

Hi Cervelo,

Fair play! I guess this is part of the puzzle. What actually is "Joyceborough" and on what basis did he/they decide that Lismore Terrace, Drumcondra become Lindsay Road, Glasnevin?

"They pined in depth of ocean shadow, gold by the beerpull, bronze by maraschino, thoughtful all two. Mina Kennedy, 4 Lismore terrace, Drumcondra with Idolores, a queen, Dolores, silent"

Also, the commentary by Joyceborough is flat wrong in describing Mina Kennedy as bronze-headed - I understand how this error occurred but nonetheless raises question marks over the precision of this post?!

Morning SG,

I spent a little time yesterday trying to find Lismore Terrace and from this I would say that "Joyceborough" is mistaken in their assumption
I can find that the Sreenans or the Sneenans lived at 4 Lismore Terrace in the early 1900s but cant find where exactly that is
So far the closest I've got is a 1912 Dublin City, Geological overlay which shows what Botanic Ave looked like compared to today

The detail isn't great but you can see how the area has changed especially at either end of Botanic Avenue

…….I would say that "Joyceborough" is mistaken in their assumption

Agreed! Maybe when they were doing this bit of "research", they were under the influence of a certain product which you previously advised me has a different legal status in Spain compared with Ireland!

When I googled " lismore terrace in ulysses" the first result is from Joyceborough on Facebook
Their of the opinion that 4 Lindsay Road, Glasnevin is where Miss Mina Kennedy lived

Dublin was a more conservative place in the past, so I doubt a barmaid would have been accepted as a lodger on Lindsay Road in 1904. So Botanic Avenue is probably a better bet. The OP could post on the excellent 'Glasnevin Heritage' group on Facebook, to see if anyone can throw more light on the location of Lismore Tce..

In one of the census sites I saw it had both Lindsay Road and Lismore Terrace.

The 1907 map suggests that botanic avenue was almost the city border with fields beyond on and the road itself was only starting to be developed, hence the more likely scenario that it was a terrace on Botanic avenue itself.

You might have to go to the gravediggers pub and have a pint or three to further the research.

Happy Blooms Day, all

It has been suggested to me that my research would need to take in Fagan's pub also. The point being that the Drumcondra mafia would, not alone, be able to tell me the location of Lismore Terrace but also the voting patterns of each household therein!

RTE Radio are airing their 30 hour adaptation from 1982

Outlander actress Catriona Balfe reads the 'Penelope' chapter

A wonderful short piece from Anthony Cronin on 'the first Bloomsday'... you don't even have to like Joyce for this one, it is "yer man's book".
It's like something from Father Ted or Black Books.
From RTE Sunday Miscellany archives.

Their odyssey comes to an end in the pub ... as might be expected.

Back