Limited partnership units. Taxation

joe sod

I purchased limited partnership units last year in a company on a US exchange. To me they were the same as shares as the ticker and purchase were the exact same as buying shares or etfs. However I now realise that they are limited partnership units and to further complicate things they are a Canadian company traded on the US exchange. I got paid dividends and withholding tax of 25percent was deducted. Normally for Canadian companies 16percent is deducted and I get a credit for this when declaring dividends to Irish tax authorities.
However for limited partnerships strictly speaking you don't receive dividends but shared profits. My question is how do I deal with this in relation to Irish tax. Do I get a credit for it the same as I do for normal dividends and do I just declare them the same as normal dividends. Also I presume there is no exit tax and deemed disposal at 8 year malarkey. I understand that this is detailed question and most people probably don't know anything about them

im just wondering does anyone know much about this, seems to be very little information on how to proceed

im just wondering does anyone know much about this, seems to be very little information on how to proceed
Hi Joe, just wondering if you got any clarity on the treatment of these. I am considering purchasing some, and it would be great to know the implications. Many thanks

hello there mahart, no I never found much information on them at all. I sold them afterwards due to this issue of how they are taxed. I think they are good for US investors and are really only available on the US brokerages but there is very little information on them this side of the pond

Back