Limerick Property

cunninghams

I am thinking of investing in an apartment in Limerick city. There seems to be more than reasonably priced houses and apartments near the twon city. Can anybody let me know about rental yields, why city centre cheaper than suburbs and prospects/developments due in city, overall outlook for Limerick City

This earlier thread might be of interest, cunninghams. One of the main reasons rents have softened in Limerick (and prices remained low, in certain areas) seems to be over-supply...

There is most definatly an over supply of rental properties in Limerick. Rents have gone down steadily over the last couple of years.
Places like Steamboat Quay for instance which when new was an attractive place to rent and attracted high rental yields has now become very run down and not an attractive area of town, in may people's views so it would be difficult to rent out an apartment there.
With so many new buildings being developed people seem to want to live in the newest places and the older places are harder to rent out.
Unless you are working in the city centre I son't see why you would want to live there.
If woking in RAheen it makes more sense to live out there and avoid the crawl to work and home.

it seems a lot of the city center apartments are section 23,
all snapped up for the capital allowances, so rental returns on them isn't necessarily the main aim of their owners. Also management charges often represent a large portion of these reduced rents (eg about 1k our of a 6/7k rent).
Not sure how the resale values of these will pan out when the allowances are used up, so personally I'd steer clear unless you badly need relief ...

if you're keen on the city, the broad base seems to be lowish paid city workers or young professionals who share, with backup of health board tenants. If you agree on this rental base, there are quite a few 2/3 bed townhouses built in the last 15 years, an example would be a 3 bed terrace, 175k, gross rental 8.4k ( 4.8% gross ), no management fees. these seem ok to me( well compared to dublin anyway)
for what it's worth, and this is obviously just my experience, I've found the Eastern Europeans to be the dream tenants, often filling other properties with their new arrival friends.

Also at this multiple even worst case, I wouldn't expect them to fall that much without serious interest rate rises. I would think they're certainly safer than places on 2% yields gross that have been flying on capital appreciation elsewhere.

Basically, Limerick, if you select right, is good yields, steady prices, all in all good long term fundamentals in my view.

thanks all for your thoughts. I am actually not from Limerick and am looking for an investment property and thought Limerick was an excellent option. i hadnt realised the issues with supply vs demand in the city. Any other thoughts on locations other than Dublin with good prospects?

cunninghams said:
thanks all for your thoughts. I am actually not from Limerick and am looking for an investment property and thought Limerick was an excellent option. i hadnt realised the issues with supply vs demand in the city. Any other thoughts on locations other than Dublin with good prospects?

I think Sligo is a town that is beginning to really boom, road infrastructure to the town has really improved.

It's a town on the up in my opinion.

Back