Lightning damage to TV and SKY system

Because he did not seem to be aware of it.

As he said " Nope, i just noticed it when we had to dig out the policy. It was never mentioned by 123.ie at the inception stage. I will read the policy again to be sure"
Yes - but when this happens the fault lies with the policyholder (for not reviewing the form when applying or the policy documentation when the transaction is executed - and availing of the cooling off period if necessary) and not with the broker/underwriter.

Yes - but when this happens the fault lies with the policyholder (for not reviewing the form when applying or the policy documentation when the transaction is executed - and availing of the cooling off period if necessary) and not with the broker/underwriter.

Yes you're right on that of course.

Still think they should not have a default excess that's 3 times the average for that insurer.
You should be asked to postively select that by at least ticking a box or selecting it from a list. You can skip past very easily as the default of €500 is already selected.

It has been held in many old contract law cases that unsually onerous terms and conditions should be highlighted for the attention of the purchaser.

Whatever about the default selection for the excess field the form must be filled in by the applicant and they get at least one further chance to review the details before submitting them. Even after purchasing they have a 14 (?) day cooling off period during which they can cancel cover and get a full refund. Even after that they can cancel the policy and get a pro-rata refund of unused premiums. Can't see how this can be a case of anything other than caveat emptor to be honest.

Possible sharp practice on 123's behalf. Maybe a complaint to the insurance ombudsman is in order. You probably won't get anywhere but it might force 123 to change their practices.

A little strong there Moral. Actually Mrs. Bond took out the policy whilst I was away on a business trip so I was not aware of it until at least a month afterwards. Anyways lesson learned, won't be caught out again.

Purely as a matter of academic interest how much would a payout of say €500 to 600 increase a premium of €250 odd on renewal.

Purely as a matter of academic interest how much would a payout of say €500 to 600 increase a premium of €250 odd on renewal.

It should not do anything to your premium with Estar as they don't operate a no claims bonus system.

But you will most likely be loaded if you shopped around at renewal time. By how much I have no idea...

Back