Life in Ardee co louth?

N

noel33

Any thoughts on life in ardee town for a dublin couple in their 30s? I am particularly interested in the area on the golf course side of town but all comments would be appreciated. Is it too far to commute to dublin do you think. We would be travelling outside of peak hours.

I'm originally from Ardee but live elsewhere now. But do head back there a lot to visit family and friends so this info should be accurate enough. Heres' a few points...

1. The commute: Well, a lot of Ardee folk do the commute to Dublin out of necessity as Ardee itself does not have any major local employers. It's exactly 35 mins from the N2 / N52 r'about to the airport r'about on the M1 via the N33 link road....doing the correct speed limit the whole way! After that though you're at the mercy of the Dublin traffic! Of course you'd have the toll of 1.60 twice a day. The N2 to Dublin via Slane and Ashbourne has no tolls but takes longer. Personally, I feel it's a bit too long to do every day but each to their own.

2. Shops: Nice selection of small local suppliers which is always a great way to get to know people. Has the Super Valu and Lidl of course and there is talk of Tesco. A lot of folk would do their big shop in Dundalk or Drogheda and of course Newry is only a stones throw away.

3. Pubs / Nightlife: Mixed bag - no superpubs! But a good selection of friendly local ones. Shambles is the local nightclub attached to Muldoons...helps to be under 16 to get in though!

4. Restaurants: Some v. good ones...Fuschia House on the Dundalk Road is listed by Tom Doorley (restaurant critci) in the Indo as one of his top spots. Also Rolfs Bistro is great, Wau for Asian food and the Forge Gallery in Collon (which is just up the road) is also a top spot. Pub grub in a few places as well and a couple of coffee shops

5. Activities: The usual - GAA is big, football in particular - Louth for Sam in '07! Excellent 18 hole Golf Course which has upgraded it's clubhouse in the last number of years. There is also a Rugby club, soccer teams etc. There's also bridge, ballroom dancing and everything else you'd find in a small town. If you're into playing music, there's the local concert band and I think there are trad groups in nearby villages. No cinema but Dundalk, Drogheda are closeby.

6. Schools: You don't say if you have kids but for long term...there are good primary schools (boys and girls) plus the local community school.

7. Location to live in the town: There is no good or bad end of the town - all are good! The Church End of the town (what we'd call the top of the town even though it's south!) is more built up with estates etc. whereas the golf course side (the bottom of the town....even though it's north - I know, I know!!!) has more one-off houses. All of the local housing estates such as Sliabh Breagh, De La Salle are now old and established...although Ferdia Park on the Golf Course Road been the newest gets a bit of bad press but it's fine. Because of the link road around the town, it's easy to get to either side coming from Dublin.

Overall, I'm biased - love Ardee but unfortunately living there was not feasible from a work / college perspective. I know a lot of folk from Dublin / Drogheda are moving there now because of higher prices in their own town. It's a great town and the locals are very friendly and not that cliqueish (sp?). Mind you - I nearly crashed the car one day, going down the town and seeing an 'Arnott's' jersey! I guess, like any other town when it comes to settling into a place, you'll get back what you put in!

Hope this helps!

C71

Thanks for your reply. Very useful. I have printed it off. So we are not the only dublin eejits then!

It's a nice town but if you have kids they may end up with the local accent :eek: ;)

Back