LIDL: What are they like to work for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cabbages are made of cabbage. They are not produces in factories in the Far East.
What was being referred to was many of the products in the weekly so-called " special offers " they have in their centre aisles. I gave an example earlier if a zip on a cheap pair of lidl jeans which broke ( the zip was very lightweight and the jeans did not fit as well as any other pair I ever bought anywhere else, regardless of price...) and a mop thing which broke after a few weeks. Some of their food may be ok...but having tried 5 or 6 different things eg biscuits - and being disappointed - I would not risk my money there again.

What was being referred to was many of the products in the weekly so-called " special offers " they have in their centre aisles. I gave an example earlier if a zip on a cheap pair of lidl jeans which broke ( the zip was very lightweight and the jeans did not fit as well as any other pair I ever bought anywhere else, regardless of price...) and a mop thing which broke after a few weeks. Some of their food may be ok...but having tried 5 or 6 different things eg biscuits - and being disappointed - I would not risk my money there again.
I think I may have said this before but try their fresh fruit and veg

I think I may have said this before but try their fresh fruit and veg
d977_2.JPG

If the garment was faulty then you just had to bring it back for a refund.

It was easier just to throw it in the bin. A friend brought something back once and had to wait ages for the manager, all the time standing not too far from the checkouts and everyone queing. Then he got fobbed off. Maybe the lidl employee there was one of the stressed out and overworked people referred to earlier...it was not a happy experience for anyone.
This gets back to the point of the thread ....employee experiences in lidl etc

It was easier just to throw it in the bin. A friend brought something back once and had to wait ages for the manager, all the time standing not too far from the checkouts and everyone queing. Then he got fobbed off. Maybe the lidl employee there was one of the stressed out and overworked people referred to earlier...it was not a happy experience for anyone.
This gets back to the point of the thread ....employee experiences in lidl etc
I have brought items back to Lidl and Aldi simply because they didn't suit or, more rarely, because of some problem, and never had any problems getting a refund. They both have no quibble 28-30 day money back guarantees covering most items if you find that they do not suit and bring them back unused for a refund. At least two members of my family have had the same experience. Even in two cases when items proved to be faulty and were brought back more than a year later with no receipt or proof of purchase.

Even in two cases when items proved to be faulty and were brought back more than a year later with no receipt or proof of purchase.

I do not find it hard to believe so many items bought in lidl were found faulty...but what happened when they were bought back "more than a year later with no receipt or proof of purchase". Given that I know of three cases where no refund was given even within the 12 month period ( fobbed off with excuses from " no receipt and "wear + tear / mis-use etc ) I would find it difficult to believe. Or maybe you were just lucky with your lidl store....maybe the lidl employeee / exploited trainee manager you dealt with there was not at the end of his / her 80 hour week! Most Irish people, if they find something from a supermarket just tastes awful or not great quality, just dump it if it was cheap.

I do not find it hard to believe so many items bought in lidl were found faulty
Two items. Hardly "so many"...
but what happened when they were bought back "more than a year later with no receipt or proof of purchase".
They both got a refund. In my mother's case neither she nor the manager could remember the original purchase price (pressure cooker) so they just agreed on a sum.
Given that I know of three cases where no refund was given even within the 12 month period ( fobbed off with excuses from " no receipt and "wear + tear / mis-use etc ) I would find it difficult to believe.
Well if you think I'm making it up there's not much I can do. But I'm not.
Or maybe you were just lucky with your lidl store....
Two different stores. And I've brought unused items back for refunds in the Aldi and two Lidl stores in Dublin city centre.
Most Irish people, if they find something from a supermarket just tastes awful or not great quality, just dump it if it was cheap.
Maybe most people you know? She didn't attempt to eat the pressure cooker by the way.

At least two members of my family have had the same experience. Even in two cases when items proved to be faulty and were brought back more than a year later with no receipt or proof of purchase.

A friend of mine recently brought back an electronic item which had stopped working after more than a year. No receipt. They let him exchange the item for a brand new equivalent model, no questions asked.

I've returned a fairly high value faulty item too (with the receipt), no problems whatsoever, money refunded (in cash, even though I'd paid for the item with a card) with a smile.

I've returned a fairly high value faulty item too (with the receipt), no problems whatsoever, money refunded (in cash, even though I'd paid for the item with a card) with a smile.

You mean high price faulty item ...as how could a faulty item be high value ? If it did not work, and you could not get a replacement item to fulfill your needs because the shop does not stock or service such items on a regular basis ( only for a week or two each year ) ...how could it have been high value. High price is what I think you mean.
Interesting point re the card - do lidl still refuse to take visa , access and all credit cards, because of the bank charges ? I know they take laser cards because the bank charges on those are much much less.

You mean high price faulty item ...as how could a faulty item be high value ? If it did not work, and you could not get a replacement item to fulfill your needs because the shop does not stock or service such items on a regular basis ( only for a week or two each year ) ...how could it have been high value. High price is what I think you mean.
The failure of a high price/value/whatever hair your splitting yourself item is hardly unique to Lidl or any other specific retailer. :rolleyes:
do lidl still refuse to take visa , access and all credit cards, because of the bank charges ? I know they take laser cards because the bank charges on those are much much less.
Yes. Cash or Laser (no cashback) only. So what?

The failure of a high price/value/whatever hair your splitting yourself item is hardly unique to Lidl or any other specific retailer. :rolleyes:
I never said it was unique to lidl. The point is there is a difference between high value and high price. Is not not hypocritical for someone to claim that something which failed and which was a high price item was high value ?

Yes. Cash or Laser (no cashback) only. So what?
I only asked the question as I was curious ( do lidl still refuse to take visa , access and all credit cards, because of the bank charges ?) so thank you for the reply.

Own brand apples, oranges, onions, turnips, grapes, potatoes, salad stuff etc? I find their fresh fruit and vegetables to be consistently better than the larger chains.
I also find their Bord Bia approved meat to be the same as Tesco or Superquinn Bord Bia approved meat. We don’t buy much processed food so don’t really know how they compare.
The fresh fruit and veg and fresh meat and poultry are considered the two most important areas in the store. The procedure staff follow is simple....if, for any reason, you would not buy the item yourself, bin it. F&V is supposed to be checked at least once an hour to make sure nothing has spoiled (the likes of lettuce can spoil very quickly). If anyone wants to see how scared the traditional retailers are they should get their hands on Checkout magazine and see how highly their secret shoppers rate Lidl and Aldi F&V. It is seen as a key trust item by both. Lidl get fresh F&V and chilled product into their stores seven days a week. The turnover is generally high so almost every item will have been delivered that morning. I think it's well known now that the quality of Lidl/Aldi ambient products is generally quite high. They can afford to sell cheap because they buy in massive quantities (over 7000 Lidl stores now!) and they have work practices that get the most from all staff. I work for Lidl and yes they are demanding employers and yes they pay more than other retailers (except Aldi, similar renumeration) in all departments. All shop floor/warehouse employees now clock in electronically and get paid for every minute worked (including premium rates for Sundays and bank holidays and overtime is paid to them when they exceed 39 hours per week). All employee timesheets are analysed by head office every week and managers are hauled up if an employee breached the rules (even if an employee only got 10.59 instead of 11 hours rest between shifts! Store and warehouse managers also clock in and they may not exceed the working time directive (48 hours average). Lidl has had a LOT of bad press in Germany and they are now very wary of all these things so they have clamped down on irregularities. Lidl is still not an employer for the faint hearted though!

Lidl has had a LOT of bad press in Germany
Not just in Germany, I would say the poor quality of many of its products and its poor work practices are renowned throughout most if not all of the countries in which it trades. No wonder most brands and most manufacturers of packaged goods will not sell to them.

Not just in Germany, I would say the poor quality of many of its products .. are renowned throughout most if not all of the countries in which it trades. No wonder most brands and most manufacturers of packaged goods will not sell to them.
Source for these unfounded accusation? Who makes Lidl's very CHEAPEST 4 pack lager? -> Brauerei Beck, Hamburg, owned by InBev (the largest beer maker in the world, no less!)

Fresh poultry in Ireland-> Western Brand (Mayo) and Moy Park (also owned by Western Brand but operating somwhat independently in Dungannon)

Pizzas-> Wagner (largest brand name pizza manufacturer in Germany)

Some dairy products-> Mueller of Bavaria

Bread in Ireland-> British Bakeries (makers of Hovis/mother's pride etc!) and Irwins

Cleaning Products mostly made by McBride.

etc. etc. etc.

Lidl does some things badly, but the quality of the food is not in question IMO.

Source for these unfounded accusation?

As regards most manufacturers of packaged goods , just look at the lack of choice / how many brands are never stocked by them. Just look down their centre isles for a good example. For example, one week lidl may flood the market with motorbike stuff. Are any of the helmets , gloves, accessories or anything else a recognised brand name ? The next week lidl may decide to sell marine equipment. Same story. Are any of the lifejackets / ropes / wetsuits / gloves etc etc a recognised brand name ? Are any of the lidl lifejackets / ropes / wetsuits / gloves etc etc ever advertised / mentioned or tested in any of the hundreds of sailing / boating / surfing or watersport magazines available anywhere in the world ? Are any of the lidl lifejackets / ropes / wetsuits / gloves ever displayed at any boat show in any country ever ? The same analogy applies to the other stuff lidl sells. Often cheap in quality, but not always cheap in price. A friend got some lidl electronic stuff ( as a present ) and was a bit disappointed when they used it too. If you want shoes, ok lidl sell shoes, but do not expect them to be comparable to Clarkes or Ecco, for example. Yes lidl sell jeans , but do not expect the same quality as a pair of wranglers , or levis. I got a few tools in lidl once, but I found they rusted within six months. Ok, they were still usable, but I - or anyone else I know - would not rate them the same quality as reputable brands of tools , for example. There are tens of thousands upon tens of thousands of manufacturers and brands worldwide in the motorcycling / marine / horseriding / tools etc etc industries - why do none ( or at least 99.99 % ) sell to lidl ?

As regards most manufacturers of packaged goods , just look at the lack of choice / how many brands are never stocked by them. Just look down their centre isles for a good example. For example, one week lidl may flood the market with motorbike stuff. Are any of the helmets , gloves, accessories or anything else a recognised brand name ? The next week lidl may decide to sell marine equipment. Same story. Are any of the lifejackets / ropes / wetsuits / gloves etc etc a recognised brand name ? Are any of the lidl lifejackets / ropes / wetsuits / gloves etc etc ever advertised / mentioned or tested in any of the hundreds of sailing / boating / surfing or watersport magazines available anywhere in the world ? Are any of the lidl lifejackets / ropes / wetsuits / gloves ever displayed at any boat show in any country ever ? The same analogy applies to the other stuff lidl sells. Often cheap in quality, but not always cheap in price. A friend got some lidl electronic stuff ( as a present ) and was a bit disappointed when they used it too. If you want shoes, ok lidl sell shoes, but do not expect them to be comparable to Clarkes or Ecco, for example. Yes lidl sell jeans , but do not expect the same quality as a pair of wranglers , or levis. I got a few tools in lidl once, but I found they rusted within six months. Ok, they were still usable, but I - or anyone else I know - would not rate them the same quality as reputable brands of tools , for example. There are tens of thousands upon tens of thousands of manufacturers and brands worldwide in the motorcycling / marine / horseriding / tools etc etc industries - why do none ( or at least 99.99 % ) sell to lidl ?
I think I've debated with you before on boards.ie haven't I?

There are thousands of manufacturers around the world who don't sell to say, Tesco. What's your point?

I once had a pair of Clarks shoes where the sole came away from the upper. I could get no satisfaction from the Clarks Shop where I bought them. I could get no satisfaction from Clarks themselves. I never bought Clarks again. If your upper comes away from your sole on a pair of Lidl shoes you take them back and they'll give you a full refund. Spot the difference?

The motorbike/marine stuff is interesting-it all MUST pass minimum testing to be legal for sale in the European Union. I suppose you'll tell me that Lidl's supplier fakes the 22.05 motorcycle helmet test now?

Yawn.

The motorbike/marine stuff is interesting-it all MUST pass minimum testing to be legal for sale in the European Union. I suppose you'll tell me that Lidl's supplier fakes the 22.05 motorcycle helmet test now?
Yawn.
Yawn indeed. That is a different point and why bring it up - and indeed sarcastically yawn - if it is so interesting ? Why ? As far as I know not all motorbike/marine stuff has to be tested - only the safety equipment in those fields. eg lifejackets have to be tested for buoyancy ( not durability / comfort or style ), while sailing shoes would not have to be tested fkor anything. The many various magazines ( car / marine / motorbike / sailing or whatever ) never ever seem to test / advertise or even mention lidl products - lidl products are simply not on the radar screen there, and you never even see pictures of people using lidl products there.

Another point as regards testing - that other fine purveyor of quality items with a four letter l word, lada cars , were tested by the european union too. They had to be for sale in Europe. Because they were tested does not imply overall quality / durability / style / value / performance or such like.

yawn !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back