Lidl bread mixes - any success?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClubMan

Anybody else used Lidl bread mixes successfully? Tried twice over the weekend - followed the mixing/baking (oven not bread maker) instructions on packet carefully but ended up with a sticky mess which baked to the consistency of a brick. Inedible and went into the bin. :(

Hi clubman,
never tried these mixes,and with all due respect dont understand why people do.not sure what kind of bread mixes they are,irish soda or yeast so heres 2 recipes for you to try.
1--------------------------------2
wholemeal flour 1000g ------------bakers flour(strong) 1000g
salt 10g------------------------------------- salt 15g
bicarb of soda 20g ---------------------yeast(dry 1 sachet)or 25g fresh
buttermilk 800ml -----------------------tepid water 550ml

mix dry ingedients in bowl ----------mix dry ing' in bowl,add water,bring
add buttermilk and mix to --------------to a dough,take out of bowl
a soft dough,consistentcy -------------and knead for 5 mins,work it!!
of poridge DO NOT KNEAD! -------------leave to rest for 30 mins in bowl
as soon as the flour has absorbed ---------and cover with damp cloth.
the liquid stop mixing.pour into
bread tin put straight into
pre-heated oven 230oC ---------------take dough out of bowl and knock
if fan assisted 190. -------------------all the gas out,leave in bowl for
for approx 40 mins. -----------------------------a further 5 mins.
this will make 2 loaves. -----------------devide into what ever size you
-------------------------------------want,be it rolls or bread,place on
------------------------------------tray or in tin,takes about 25mins
--------------------------------------to proove,then bake at 230oC,
---------------------------------------OR 190 FOR FAN ASSIST.
------------------------------------rolls take 15 mins,bread 40 mins.
----------------------------------------sometimes i have to take bread
--------------------------------------from tin half way and finish baking
-------------------------------------on a tray as oven doesn't always
----------------------------------------penitrate tin.but makes great
-----------------------------------------bread,well worth the effort.

best of luck.

I just made my first loaf of brown bread on Saturday and made Darina's Brown Yeast Bread and it's a real doddle (really). No kneading nor nuttin'. On pg 478 of the Big Grey Darina Book - I'll PM you the recipe if you like

Sprite

Anybody else used Lidl bread mixes successfully? Tried twice over the weekend - followed the mixing/baking (oven not bread maker) instructions on packet carefully but ended up with a sticky mess which baked to the consistency of a brick. Inedible and went into the bin. :(

In fairness, it might not just be the Lidl mixes. I made a couple of Odlums quickbreads (tomato and fennel, I think they were) which could also double as deadly weapons if you got a whack of them.

Hi clubman,
never tried these mixes,and with all due respect dont understand why people do.not sure what kind of bread mixes they are,irish soda or yeast so heres 2 recipes for you to try.
1--------------------------------2
wholemeal flour 1000g ------------bakers flour(strong) 1000g
salt 10g------------------------------------- salt 15g
bicarb of soda 20g ---------------------yeast(dry 1 sachet)or 25g fresh
buttermilk 800ml -----------------------tepid water 550ml

mix dry ingedients in bowl ----------mix dry ing' in bowl,add water,bring
add buttermilk and mix to --------------to a dough,take out of bowl
a soft dough,consistentcy -------------and knead for 5 mins,work it!!
of poridge DO NOT KNEAD! -------------leave to rest for 30 mins in bowl
as soon as the flour has absorbed ---------and cover with damp cloth.
the liquid stop mixing.pour into
bread tin put straight into
pre-heated oven 230oC ---------------take dough out of bowl and knock
if fan assisted 190. -------------------all the gas out,leave in bowl for
for approx 40 mins. -----------------------------a further 5 mins.
this will make 2 loaves. -----------------devide into what ever size you
-------------------------------------want,be it rolls or bread,place on
------------------------------------tray or in tin,takes about 25mins
--------------------------------------to proove,then bake at 230oC,
---------------------------------------OR 190 FOR FAN ASSIST.
------------------------------------rolls take 15 mins,bread 40 mins.
----------------------------------------sometimes i have to take bread
--------------------------------------from tin half way and finish baking
-------------------------------------on a tray as oven doesn't always
----------------------------------------penitrate tin.but makes great
-----------------------------------------bread,well worth the effort.

best of luck.

I just made my first loaf of brown bread on Saturday and made Darina's Brown Yeast Bread and it's a real doddle (really). No kneading nor nuttin'. On pg 478 of the Big Grey Darina Book - I'll PM you the recipe if you like

Sprite

Would you mind sending me a PM for the recipe? Thanks

No worries - it'll be a couple of days as I'm not at home at the mo

Sprite

In fairness, it might not just be the Lidl mixes. I made a couple of Odlums quickbreads (tomato and fennel, I think they were) which could also double as deadly weapons if you got a whack of them.
No offence but none of the posts above is in any way relevant to my query which was specifically about the Lidl mixes! If I wanted DIY recipes I would have Googled them. If I was interested in other manufacturer's bread mixes I would have asked about them.

Clubman - I am an excellent breadmaker, I will try out the Lidl bread mix and come back in a few days and report my findings. ;)

Hi Clubman,

I have successfully used the Lidl bread mixes many times in my breadmaker. I have never tried baking them in the oven though, although I do occasionally make yeast breads in the oven too.

They are yeast based, so need a lot of kneading, proving, knocking back, proving again and then baking. It may be that they did not prove for long enough?

When you make bread by hand, a little adjustment is often needed in the amount of water used, so that may be another reason.

HTH,
DIziet

No offence but none of the posts above is in any way relevant to my query which was specifically about the Lidl mixes! If I wanted DIY recipes I would have Googled them. If I was interested in other manufacturer's bread mixes I would have asked about them.

Yeah well - at least I have bread :p

How much is the lidl mix and how much does it make?

Sprite

Hey clubman
I've tried those lidl mixes and they aren't any good at all.
Bad luck

Clubman - I am an excellent breadmaker, I will try out the Lidl bread mix and come back in a few days and report my findings. ;)
If you really mean that thanks a lot.
They are yeast based, so need a lot of kneading, proving, knocking back, proving again and then baking. It may be that they did not prove for long enough?
I followed the instructions on the packet. It did not say to prove twice and knock back. Just add lukewarm water, mix (I used a dough hook in a food processor), put in a warm place for 30 mins, put a bowl of water in the oven for 5 minutes before baking and then bake for c. 60 mins at 200 degrees C (fan oven).

For what it's worth I have successfully made yeast bread, pizza bases (risen once), focaccia (risen twice) and brown bread from mixes in the past so I am not a total newbie to baking.

Hey clubman
I've tried those lidl mixes and they aren't any good at all.
Bad luck
My mother (who is a very experienced amateur baker) said the same. Perhaps they only work well in a bread maker rather than the oven?

How much is the lidl mix and how much does it make?
Can't recall. Maybe €1.50 or thereabouts? It's 1000g so makes 2 x c. 2lb loaves as far as I recall. Apologies to anybody offended by the mix of metric and imperial.

Well I know its not specifically about the bread mixes, but Lidl's cookie mixes are very good.

I've tried it, made it in the Lidl breadmaker. Now I wouldn't be a seasoned bread maker but I do like my bread, I remember it taking hours in that "machine" and I was there to greet it when the buzzer went off on it. The aroma in the kitchen was good and it looked lovely so having waited for so long I chopped off a slice and smothered it with kerrygold while it was still warm. It was horrific even with melted kerrygold on it which in fairness would make a Marietta biscuit taste like a luxurious treat.
The dogs did have great fun with it the following day, they were actually playing fetch with, they didn't even know it was edible, so my advice is, take one of those recipe and try them out instead..

For what it's worth I have successfully made yeast bread, pizza bases (risen once), focaccia (risen twice) and brown bread from mixes in the past so I am not a total newbie to baking.
if this is the case then why use mixes at all.
I followed the instructions on the packet. It did not say to prove twice and knock back. Just add lukewarm water, mix (I used a dough hook in a food processor), put in a warm place for 30 mins, put a bowl of water in the oven for 5 minutes before baking and then bake for c. 60 mins at 200 degrees C (fan oven).
it would be interesting to know the list of ingredients,as far as i'm aware to make bread in this way there has to be adatives,and if none,then thats why it didn't work!

Why make Lidl breadmixes, when Lidl sells a large sliced pan for less than 70 cents? Do the breadmixes promise to be that different?

Why make Lidl breadmixes, when Lidl sells a large sliced pan for less than 70 cents? Do the breadmixes promise to be that different?

Maybe he's selling his home....apparently home baked bread will up the price. So all the more to spend on gadgets from Lidl & Aldi

it Was Horrific Even With Melted Kerrygold On It Which In Fairness Would Make A Marietta Biscuit Taste Like A Luxurious Treat.
the Dogs Did Have Great Fun With It The Following Day, They Were Actually Playing Fetch With, They Didn't Even Know It Was Edible, So My Advice Is, Take One Of Those Recipe And Try Them Out Instead..
:d

Do you actually eat that stuff,what could possably be in it that they can produce it for that price.
and if you dont know the differance between home made bread and that stuff(i wouldn't atempt to call it bread),you haven't lived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back