License arrangement changing to tenancy. RTB registration

cremeegg

Up until recently my son lived in a house I own in a nearby university city, a number of other students had rooms and paid rent to me. I looked on this as as license and it was not RTB registered. Now my son has left, the others have stayed on, a new person has taken his room.

I presume this needs to be registered with the RTB now, my question is how. One registration for the whole house or individual registrations for the individual rooms.

Any advice appreciated.

I presume this needs to be registered with the RTB now, my question is how.
I would think yes, as your son or you is no longer free to come and go.

Do you have a formal rental contract? If not think it would be no harm to put one in place. A tenancy already de facto exists and you would be better protected in the event of an RTB dispute if it is all in black and white. In your shoes I would also insist on a joint tenancy rather than a room-by-room approach but this depends a bit on your preferences and the set-up.

You mentioned your son has left, would it be of benefit to him & you to keep a room in the house & continue the licensee arrangement?
Will he return ocassionally & make use of his current room?

Failing that I'd be setting up a single reg with RTB. I've seen nightmare stories on here of RTB bias against LL's in contested cases. Imagine haveing that 5x on your plate.

Back